Sunday, July 12, 2015

Carpe Diem #775 Amido (screen door or window screen)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our daily haiku meme Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, were the haiku (and other Japanese poetry forms) are the leading issues. As you all know this month we are exploring classical Japanese kigo (seasonwords) for summer and today we have a really nice one. Today our prompt is amido (screen door or window screen).

I couldn't find examples of haiku with this kigo for summer, so I took the freedom to "reform" amido to "paper door" to give you an idea for this episode to inspire you. I found a nice haiku composed by Issa (one of the four greatest haiku poets ever):

utsukushi ya shôji no ana no ama [no] kawa

looking pretty
in a hole in the paper door...
Milky Way


© Issa

And I found another one written by (my master) Basho, also not really "amido", but "sliding door":

natsu no kaze yarido no kuchi ya togarigoe

summer wind
through the opening of the sliding door -
this piercing sound


© Basho

Both are really wonderful haiku. You can almost see the fragile rice paper doors in these examples. 

Credits: paper door
As I was visiting the Tumblr pages of Tinker (Hamish Gunn) and read his posts on Sahara jo's tumblr page I read a nice haiku written by Hamish with "amido" as the leading theme:

The Screen Door (Amido)

through the screen door
she watches me watching her
disgracefully thrilling


© Hamish Gunn

An awesome haiku, mysterious and sensual ... a real "Tinker"-haiku.

After all those wonderful haiku ... I have to write/compose a new one myself, will not be an easy task, but of course I had to try. So here is my "amido"-haiku:


sunlight breaks
through the cracks of the torn paper door
shadows play


© Chèvrefeuille

Hm ... I like this one ...

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 15th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, the third CD Special by our featured haiku poet from Ghana, Adjei Agyei Baah, later on.



3 comments:

  1. Basho's "looking pretty" haiku is one of my favorites of his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words about my haiku - appreciated very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your new haiku is stunning too
      pink sunlight and rose petals...beautiful !

      Delete