Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Carpe Diem #776 shika no ko (fawn)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another day for a nice classical Japanese kigo for summer. Today I have a nice prompt for you which first brought me the motion picture/animation Bambi by Disney in mind, because that's what shika no ko means ... fawn (like Bambi). Bambi was one of my favorite Disney movies and my kids and grandchildren were also "in love" with that beautiful fawn.
Credits: shika no ko (fawn)
I have found a few nice haiku with this classical kigo composed by Kobayashi Issa which I love to share here with you all.

hagi no ha ni kakure kurasuru kanoko kana
in bush clover
staying well hidden...
a fawn


karakasa no shita ni shibaraku kanoko kana
lingering
under the paper umbrella...
a fawn


yû yami ya kanoko madara no yuri no hana
evening gloom--
a fawn's spots
in the lilies


© Kobayashi Issa (Tr. David G. Lanoue)

All wonderful haiku don't you think so? I love them all, Issa has written more haiku about fawns, but maybe you have to visit HaikuGuy to read more. And here a haiku written by my master Basho:

on Buddha's birthday
a spotted fawn is born –
just like that
 


© Basho

I think you have enough inspiration to compose an all new haiku (or tanka).

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 18th at noon (CET). I will (try to) post our new episode, kingyo (goldfish). By the way I have a weekend off so Jen (Blog It Or Lose It) will be your host for next weekend (17, 18 & 19th July).

1 comment:

  1. was writing a haiku (in my head) about the fawn twins in my backyard when I saw the prompt.

    ReplyDelete