Sunday, August 24, 2014

Carpe Diem #546, Silence


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

the silence deepens
as the night falls like a blanket
upon a white world

© Chèvrefeuille

Just an impromptu-verse which found me as I started to prepare this episode of our daily haiku-meme. It's a haiku straight from the heart ... and it's about late autumn or winter. Why a winter haiku came up? I don't know. It's still summer here in The Netherlands, but it feels like autumn ... a lot of wind and rain and we even have had the heater on a few days ago. It felt cold and moist inside our home, because of all the rain we have had.

The haiku above was maybe triggered by our prompt for today, silence, based on Khalil's "Sand and Foam". He has a few beautiful 'verses' about silence and they will inspire you I think. Here they are:

[...] "A great singer is he who sings our silences". [...]

[...] "I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers". [...]

[...] "The silence of the envious is too noisy". [...]

Credits: Silence
What is silence? Is it that nice feeling of no noise at all? Or is it that sweet sound of an early morning concert by birds? Or the babbling brook? Or maybe that sweet sound of the rustling wind through the leaves? Silence can be very still, but I like the silence of a babbling brook for example.
How would you describe silence?

the babbling brook
makes me drowsy and happy -
a late summer night

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... let the silence of your soul inspire you to write wonderful, silent haiku.

This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until August 27th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, flame, later on.


7 comments:

  1. So vivid and naturally "convincing" that I could almost hear the babbling brook through a summer night... A photo in my mind :). Masterful, Kristjaan...silence in its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quotes by Khalil was most inspiring and such great contrast to the gentleness of your haikul

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great prompt...so much can be said about silence, in good and not so good feelings. I loved both your haiku and this prompt:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice prompt. The babbling brook was a crystal clear moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read all these posts in quite reflection. Thanks for the inspirations and your great prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful haiku..silence... night blanketing the snow.

    ReplyDelete