Monday, October 26, 2015

Carpe Diem Special #178 Michael Dylan Welch's "first day of school"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy this is to create another CD Special with a wonderful haiku by Michael Dylan Welch. This episode I have chosen a nice, very recognizable, haiku by Michael.
Imagine ... your child goes to school for the very first time. Can you imagine that? I certainly can. I remember that my youngest son (now 24 yrs) went to school for the very first time. My wife and I brought him together until in his class room. He started playing immediately, but as we walked out of the classroom he cried. He really cried hard. My wife and I weren't strong enough to leave him at school so we took him with us and tried it again the next day. Again he cried ... finally after a few days we (my wife and I) could go away leaving him in the loving and caring hands of his teacher notwithstanding his crying.
I remember that it hurt us, but ... we had to "cut him loose" with pain in our hearts. At the end of his first day at school his teacher told us that he had cried for several minutes, but finally he started playing with the toys. My son had won his battle, the battle to be left alone at school. It was really an ordeal his first week at school, but he managed great.

Michael Dylan Welch

The haiku by Michael which I love to share this time in our CD Special is a haiku about that first day at school.

first day of school—
I eat my buckwheat pancakes
in silence


© Michael Dylan Welch

Well .... this haiku could be written as a short impression of the first day at school of my youngest son. I can imagine that my son did that too ... we never will know that for sure.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until October 29th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, a new CD Haiku Writing Techniques episode, later on.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this so much as I am where you were then. What a beautiful beautiful Haiku here......:)

    ReplyDelete