Sunday, May 13, 2018

Carpe Diem Crossroads #9 Ozaki Hosai's "on the field"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to bring you a new episode of our "fusion" feature Crossroads. This week I have chosen two nice haiku created by one of the classic haiku poets. For this episode I have chosen two haiku created by Ozaki Hosai. He was one of the haiku poets that embraced the free-haiku movement, like for example Santako Taneda. Ozaki Hosai wrote his haiku only as one-line verses, as is one of the classic ways of writing haiku. The both haiku I have chosen I have "re-done" into the more Western way of three lines.

Ozaki Hōsai (1885 - 1926) was the haigo (haikai pen name) of Ozaki Hideo, a Japanese poet of the late Meiji and Taishō periods of Japan. An alcoholic, Ozaki witnessed the birth of the modern free verse haiku movement. His verses are permeated with loneliness, most likely a result of the isolation, poverty and poor health of his final years.

Ozaki Hosai
Ozaki Hosai has written nice haiku in my opinion, but I think you, my dear haijin, visitors and travelers, can create a wonderful "fusion" haiku with the following haiku by him:

on the field 
where evening has died out, 
my footsteps

the heart 
that seeks something 
I release to the sea

© Ozaki Hosai (revised by Chèvrefeuille)

footprints at the beach (image found on Shutterstock)
As you all (maybe) know the goal is to create a new haiku (only haiku) from the both given haiku or in other words ... to create a "fusion" haiku. I have given it a try too. 

footprints
left in the sand of time
sound of waves

© Chèvrefeuille

And now it is up to you ...

This episode of Carpe Diem Crossroads is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until May 20th at noon (CEST). Have fun ... !


No comments:

Post a Comment