Sunday, February 8, 2015

Carpe Diem Time Glass #20, A Frog Jumps In


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,
It's time again for a time challenging Time Glass feature in which the goal is to write/compose a haiku within 24 hours and today I have made this challenge a little bit more difficult, because I love to challenge you all to write a haibun with the given prompt and the inspiring image.

Impression of Waterlilies

And this is our prompt: a frog jumps in which refers to that famous haiku by Basho:

the old pond
a frog jumps into it
the sound of water


(C) Basho (tr. Chèvrefeuille)

Back to the task. Maybe you can remember our Kamishibai Extreme challenge (2014-November). In which I challenged you to write a haibun (prose and haiku) on a given prompt with only 55 words (including the haiku). For this Time Glass episode I will challenge you again to write a haibun, with only 75 words, including the haiku, in just 24 hours.


To inspire you a little bit more, I have a few "frog"-haiku for you:

between dewy leaves
hides a little green frog
for the blue heron


© Chèvrefeuille
against his nature,
a frog in front of the fireplace -
the cry of a stork


© Yozakura
in deep silence
Saburo is walking the path -

a frog jumps away

© Chèvrefeuille


the little child
reaches for the water lilies
without seeing the frog


(c) Chèvrefeuille

Well .... this was our new Time Glass episode and I hope it will inspire you to write a haibun following the above mentioned rules and with the use of the prompt and image(s). You have to respond within 24 hours starting tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and ending tomorrow (February 9th) at 7.00 PM (CET). So ... you have JUST 24 HOURS to respond. Good luck, have fun and be inspired!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't see the 75 word limit until after I wrote my piece.
    Enjoy it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I managed 75 words exactly! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmmmm...my illustrious colleagues...I am not claiming to write haibun well but it is my favourite art form, and I just need to say, in a haibun the haiku is not there to explain or condense the prose. Have a glance at Basho or Kerouac, and others. It does not take away from the quality of your writing, but it is nice to see some kind of relationship between prose and haiku, not just echo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://chevrefeuillescarpediem.blogspot.fi/2015/02/carpe-diem-time-glass-20-frog-jumps-in.html

    ReplyDelete