Thursday, June 4, 2015

Carpe Diem #749 rain


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

yesterday we had 'clouds' as prompt and today it's about rain just a coincidence that these two prompts follow after each other. I hadn't planned it that way, but I think it works in a great way.
Rain ... what is rain? I think you all know what rain is, but it seems ok to look at rain for a short moment.
Rain is liquid water in the form of droplets that have condensed from atmospheric water vapor and then precipitated—that is, become heavy enough to fall under gravity. Rain is a major component of the water cycle and is responsible for depositing most of the fresh water on the Earth. It provides suitable conditions for many types of ecosystems, as well as water for hydroelectric power plants and crop irrigation.

I remember that we had several prompts in our CDHK history about rain e.g winter rain (december 2012) and midsummer rain in June 2013. So maybe this prompt is a reprise one, but to me that's not a problem. Today's prompt rain is also distilled from Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku", our leading saijiki this month full of wonderful modern seasonwords. In her saijiki she gives a lot of example haiku on rain. And it really is a joy to share a few of them with you all here today.

bending without wind
the green leaves accept
a sudden shower

rain showers
on the grassy field
dew and moonlight

welcoming the spots
on my new cotton dress
summer rain


© Jane Reichhold

As I was preparing this episode I ran into a South Korean singer-songwriter with the (stage)name Rain and I was really anxious to hear music written by him. So I sought on You Tube and found a wonderful song by him. Just a treat ... 


A nice song I think, very modern .... but I enjoyed listening to it. Ok back to our prompt for today. Rain as part of summer brought me several haiku which I love to share here with you all:

after a hot day
lightning and thunder
midsummer rain

midsummer rain
finally the heat has gone
after a hot day

almost naked
dancing in the Solstice rain
ah! that coolness

ah! that coolness
raindrops on my naked body
hot Summer day


© Chèvrefeuille

And for closure a haiga which I made several years ago.


I realize that the choice of text-color isn't that great so I will reproduce the haiku on this haiga here another time:

raindrops on bamboo
shimmering in the sunlight
little diamonds


© Chèvrefeuille

Enjoyed this episode? Than I hope it will inspire you to write an all new haiku and share it with us. Here is a new one composed by myself:

clouds gather
after a warm summer day
the sound of rain


© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until June 7th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, a time machine episode, later on.

4 comments:

  1. This post is a treat, Chevrefeuille -- music, a gorgeous haiga, and a wealth of haiku! And the joy in your haiku series is contagious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From this page what REALLY stands out is that haiga.... PS- Chèvrefeuille, I wonder if you could include a portal/page at the bar on top for the Kukai, with your contact email and details - and even later all the haiku sent in an numbered, thus saving you many emails. The reaon for this is we should be trying to get more people to participate in the kukai from twitter, facebook, wordpress etc, but it would be great of they arrive at CDHK and can click immediately on the Kukai page for all info - just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your haiku and I have often noticed how that looks. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me feel envious with this summer filled post. The music reminds me of a very cool older Dutch couple I saw dancing in a restaurant in Indonesia a couple of years ago. As a former colony a lot of people from Holland go there for hols ! Love the cascade of haiku....like a flow of water !

    ReplyDelete