Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Carpe Diem #752 eagles


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a wonderful responses I have read on our last Tokubetsudesu episode "flowers". It was also a joy to create that episode. And what a joy that I can use haiku from our Haiku Kai family members for examples. Thank you all for your participation and being a devoted family member of our Carpe Diem Haiku Kai family.

Today we are going further with our exploration of the modern summer kigo as compiled by Jane Reichhold in her "a dictionary of haiku". Our prompt for today is eagles and as you all know I have written several haiku on eagles during the years that CDHK exists and I will for sure re-produce a few here, but first I love to tell you something more about our upcoming months, our third quarter.

In July I will bring classical kigo (seasonwords) for summer, so than we are going further with exploring those wonderful seasonwords which have to be part of a haiku. In August I hope to take you all on a trip along the Nile, as I had planned last year. And in September I hope to do another month with modern kigo as compiled by Jane Reichhold. And while I am telling you all this I also will bring our next anniversary to your attention. Next October we will have our third anniversary and I hope that will become another wonderful festive month with great names in haiku.

Ok ... back to our prompt for today eagles ... I love to tell you first a little bit about the spiritual meaning of the eagle(s) before I go on with the prompt's haiku.


According to Native American Tribes, like the Maine Penobscot Indian Nation, the eagle is considered the messenger from God. It is believed to carry the prayers between the earthly world and the world of spirits. As such, the eagle is revered as a sacred animal and honored above all other birds. Eagle feathers have long been part of the Native American traditional worship and celebration and are thought to call the attention of God.
As animal totems, eagles are thought to bring spiritual awakening through wisdom, perspective and insight into your life. These spiritual messengers may reveal opportunities and give you the wisdom to reach your dreams.

Isn't it a wonderful creature? The king of the birds being our guide on our spiritual path. Eagle learns us through his ancient knowledge all we need to know. This majestic bird is one of my favorite creatures and therefore I love to share a few haiku first written by me.

First a cascading haiku:

laying down on my back
watching the deep blue night sky -
feeling my spirit

feeling my spirit
wishing to be free forever
like an eagle

like an eagle
free and high in the blue sky
my Inner Path


© Chèvrefeuille

And this haiku (which I posted a time ago on my personal weblog):

high in the mountains
seeking for deeper silence
the cry of an eagle

© Chèvrefeuille


To conclude this episode I have the haiku by Jane Reichhold which she shared in her "a dictionary of haiku".

mountain climbers
resting in an eerie
eaglets

mountain peak
an eagle leaves it
moonlight

© Jane Reichhold

I hope this post will inspire you all to write an all new haiku or tanka. This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and it will remain open until June 13th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, arts, later on.

 

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post - each really good reads, instructive, inspirational - and different. The Nile sounds wonderful. I think a month on North American native indian people, sayings, culture etc also seems like a great idea. The spirit of the eagle is in you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chevrefeuille, I added my name to the link up but have linked to my previous post about eagles. I don't think many people at CDHK read it and the comments people have posted about eagles are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete