Friday, March 15, 2013

Carpe Diem #146, Tsubame (swallow)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,


What an awesome day it was yesterday. I have read wonderful haiku on 'Nehane', the Nirvana Ceremony of Buddha, and I have read the most wonderful and loving comments on my post. That makes this every day effort to write a new episode for Carpe Diem the most wonderful task I have. I love to share what I know on all those different prompts and all that I know about haiku. Surely ... you all and your daily efforts to write and share haiku with Carpe Diem makes me happy, proud and humble. Thank you all for the kind words and the love you share with me. Makes me proud to be your host. Namaste.


Today our prompt is Tsubame (swallow) and I think that the Swallow is one of the messengers of Spring (and Summer). In The Netherlands (my home country) we have a proverb that says: 'One Swallow doesn't make Summer'. The meaning, very clear I think, is that once you see a Swallow that Spring and Summer are near and that they (the Swallows) are starting to make out and build their wonderful nests.


I found a nice haiku by Buson on Swallows:


kura narabu ura wa tsubame no kayoi michi

Behind the warehouse row,
a road busy with the back-and-forth 
of barn swallows



Those wonderful creatures are so busy with building their nests that it looks like a highway in rush hour.




Credits: Barn Swallow's nest

Well ... that's the episode for today. I haven't written a new haiku on this prompt because I wasn't inspired enough to write a haiku. But you never know ...

Have fun.


This prompt will stay on 'til March 17th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode, hatsu hana (first cherry blossom) later on today around 10.00 PM (CET)







9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful learning experience for me! Thanks for your faithfulness with posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the saying you provided. This was a really hard one--your picture helped me, although I think some days are better than others. I find it's good to write something and let go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One swallow does not make a summer." We have the exact same saying in Norwegian.

    I SAY

    one swallow does not
    make a summer even if
    you live in Norway

    Hihi! :-)

    Thank you for the prompt, Kristjaan! It is interesting to get to know this art form. A quick Google search shows there are many strong opinions about haiku. I am quite relaxed myself, speaking of how the poem should be like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your diligence with keeping us prompted Kristjaan. It is wonderful to meet new Carpe Diem Haijin and learn from reading such wonderful words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the prompt and all the haiku it inspired, you're such an awesome host

    ReplyDelete
  6. these last two promts - swallow and nirvana - were incredible! Great job keeping your followers so involved with such well prepaired prompts and articles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes also in Sweden we say that one swallow does not make summer... Also if swallows fly low, rain is near.... Wonderful prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I left the word "new" out of the first line of my post
    .
    March: signs of new life

    suddenly, a spout here, there,

    souls soar ~ spring has sprung

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually it's "lord love a duck" when I have a brain sprain, but this time it is "Lord love a swallow" ! That was a challenge.
    I DO love the prompts this month...thank you for your hard work along with all you do at work and with your family.
    Peace,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete