Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Carpe Diem Special #127, Sogi's third "dewy evening "


!! I am a little bit late with this episode ... sorry guys and girls !!
Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's time for our third haiku by our featured haiku poet Iio Sogi (1424-1502) a pre-Basho haiku-ist. As I was preparing this episode I sought for the first "haiku-like" poetry form and I ran into Kanshi (a Chinese poetry form used in the Heian Period in Japan, Kanshi was also based on "onji" (sound-units) and also in the sequence of haiku 5-7-5-7 .... This haiku-like form is from the 8th century.

Ok ... back to our Special for today. I have found a wonderful haiku written by Iio Sogi and I think it can inspire you all to write an all new haiku (or tanka) and share it with us all. Here is the third haiku by Sogi:

Both grasses and trees
waiting for the moon
dewy evening


© Iio Sogi

The goal of this CD-Special is to write an all new haiku trying to touch the same sense, tone and spirit as the one given. And for this episode I love to challenge you a little bit more. Try to write a haiku in the same sense, tone and spirit and use that haiku to write a Troiku (the description of Troiku you can find in the menu-line above), of course that's not an obligation, but I would like to see some troiku here.


hoarfrost

Here is my attempt:

morning dew
vanished in a second as the sun rises -
life is short


© Chèvrefeuille

And of course I had to write a Troiku myself also, here is my Troiku extracted from the new haiku written by myself:

morning dew
makes the spiderweb crystaline
nature's treasure

vanished in a second as the sun rises
the fragile hoarfrost on the branches -
ice skating

life is short
I see the thin grey hair of my parents
I become grey too


© Chèvrefeuille


Well ... this is it for this time and I hope you will be inspired to write and share your all new haiku, and maybe a Troiku ...

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until January 17th at noon (CET). I will (try to) post our new episode, Little New Year (Koshoogatsu), later on. For now ... have fun!

3 comments:

  1. My apologies, once more I'm way behind on my commenting.. well well. there is a weekend coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written troiku - I will try but it will be very hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That troiku is a gem!
    You inspire me to have a go one of these days.
    I'm glad that this time you chose the word 'hoarfrost' [synonym of 'rime'.]

    ReplyDelete