Friday, January 2, 2015

Carpe Diem Tan Renga Challenge #67, Björn Rudberg's "the old oak's roots"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

The New Year is already two days old and it's Friday today ... so time for a new episode of our Tan Renga Challenge. Our special feature (every Friday) in which I challenge you all to write a second stanza of 7-7 syllables towards a given first stanza of 5-7-5 syllables. This week I have chosen a haiku composed by Björn Rudberg of Brudberg's Writings. Björn composed this haiku in response on our prompt "Last Year". As I read his haiku I was immediately "in love" with it. It brought nice memories to my mind and the first I thought of was the meaning of the Old Oak, the theme of his haiku, in the ancient druids Ogham oracle and alphabet.
Credits: Old Oak
The Oak is one of the sacred Druidic three: 'Oak, Ash & Thorn'.  In general, Oak is associated with spells for protection, strength, success and stability, healing, fertility, health, money, potency, and good luck. Oak has been considered sacred by just about every culture that has encountered the tree, but it was held in particular esteem by the Norse and Celts because of its size, longevity, and nutritious acorns. The oak is frequently associated with Gods of thunder and lightning such as Zeus, Thor, and the Lithuanian God Perkunas. This association may be due to the oak's habit of being hit by lightening during storms. Specific oak trees have also been associated with the 'Wild Hunt', which is led by Herne in England and by Wodin in Germany. Oak galls, known as Serpent Eggs, were used in magical charms. Acorns gathered at night held the greatest fertility powers. The Druids and Priestesses listened to the rustling oak leaves and the wrens in the trees for divinatory messages. Burning oak leaves purifies the atmosphere. In general, oak can be used in spells for protection, strength, success and stability; the different varieties will lend their own special 'flavor' to the magic.
Credits: (c) photo Björn
The above photo goes along with Björn's haiku ... and here it is:

the old oak’s roots -
reach from past to future
recall last year


(c) Björn Rudberg

Isn't it a beauty? And as I read the above given meaning of Oak than this haiku becomes magical and mysterious. An awesome take on "last year". To write a second stanza towards it will not be an easy task, but .... well you know me .... (smiles)

the old oak’s roots -
reach from past to future
recall last year
                                (c) Björn Rudberg

listen, listen carefully
oak leaves rustling secrets              (c) Chèvrefeuille

Ah ... I like it as an idea comes true. I loved bringing the magic and mystery into my second stanza and I think I have succeeded.

This Tan Renga Challenge is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Friday January 9th at noon (CET). Have fun!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your great post in response to my haiku.. I look forward to read all the other contributions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great haiku -- great photo! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Björn ... I just had to use your gorgeous haiku ... and I was inspired to turn it into this post ...

      Delete
  2. Thanks Bjorn,

    I've been away. Catching up on writing first. Hopefully on reading too... soon.

    ReplyDelete