Monday, June 11, 2018

Carpe Diem #1451 young maple-leaves (waka kaede)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our wonderful Kai. This month we are exploring the beauty of classical kigo (seasonwords) for summer and today I have another nice summer kigo for you. But first this: Maybe you know that at the start of CDHK I wasn't aware that it would become such a success and I am grateful for that. Back in the beginning of our Kai I created a whole month about the Tarot. The episodes of that month I have brought together in an exclusive CDHK E-book back in 2016, and now, two years later, I have revised that CDHK E-book about the Tarot and I am proud to announce that "The Divine Tarot" is now available for download at the right of our Kai.

Okay ... back to our episode of today. Today I have chosen another kigo from the sub-division "plants" of summer;  young maple-leaves (waka kaeda).

Young Maple Leaves (waka kaede)
And I found a nice haiku by Basho on "young leaves", but not of "young maple leaves". To be honest I couldn't find any haiku on this classical kigo.

ara to¯ to aoba wakaba no hi no hikari

so holy:
green leaves, young leaves,
in sun’s light
 

© Basho (Tr. Landiss)

And here is my try to create a classical haiku with this kigo for summer:

young maple leaves
shimmer in the early sunlight
like crystalline waves


© Chèvrefeuille
Not as wonderful as I had hoped, but I like this one anyway. Of course I also have a nice kigo for winter for our friends on the Southern Hemisphere: withered pampas grass (kareobana).

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CEST) and will remain open until June 18th at noon (CEST). Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment