Thursday, June 28, 2018

Carpe Diem #1464 wind in the verdure (aoarashi)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome to our last regular episode of June. This month it was all about the beauty of the classical kigo for summer that nice little word to point towards the season in which the scene took place. We have seen beautiful kigo and I applaud you all for creating the most wonderful verses with them.

Next month I will challenge you to create haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry inspired on images. So ... July will be a month to "imagine without limits". I have already gathered images to use. Images I took myself and images found on the Internet. I am looking forward to this upcoming month.

Green Waves
Okay ... back to our last episode of this month, the last regular episode to be precise. Today's classical summer kigo is: wind in the verdure (aoarashi). What does this kigo mean. It's about the wind through the green leaves, or the greeness of summer's nature. It wasn't easy to find a haiku in which this kigo is used, but I have found one:

the wind in the green
helps to soothe their shattered nerves
and old rivalries


After a stronger search I found a haiku by Issa in which this classical kigo for summer is used:

aoarashi waga ya mi ni deru asahi kana

wind on the greenery--
coming to see my house
the morning sun

© Kobayashi Issa

Or these two by Shiki:

kisha miru-miru yama wo noboru ya aoarashi

the steam train very quickly
climb the mountain
the wind blow through fresh verdura

shiroyama no ukami agaru ya aoarashi
castle hill
high above
breezy green

© Masaoka Shiki

wind in the verdure (aoarashi)
fragile beauty
the summer breeze
plays with the grass

© Chèvrefeuille

A wonderful kigo to conclude this wonderful summer kigo month with I think. I hope you all did like this month and I hope to see you all again in July as we are going to create our verses through imagination.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 5th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new weekend-meditation later on. For now ... have fun!

And here is the last classical winter kigo for all of our friends on the Southern Hemisphere: snowflakes (kazahana). Lit. wind-flowers.


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed doing the summer kigo. Thanks for a great month.
    https://adaspoetryalcove.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/wind-in-the-verdure/

    ReplyDelete