Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Carpe Diem's Renga Challenge #2 logged tree


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy it was to read all your wonderful renga in response on our first episode of Carpe Diem's Renga Challenge. I am glad that this new feature has found it's way to your heart. Let me give you the goal of this feature again.

In this new feature "Renga Challenge" I challenge you all to create a renga of at least six (6) verses and with a maximum of 12 verses. Sounds easy ... well that's not true I think, because there is a rule. You have to create a renga by using haiku I will give you. It's your task to write the two lined verses (7-7 syllables approximately). With those two-lined verses you complete the renga. You may use the haiku in the order you like, so there is no need to use the order in which I will share them with you.

For this second "Renga Challenge" I have chosen again six (6) haiku written by Basho and translated by Jane Reichhold. So in a way you create a renga together with Basho.

Here are the six (6) haiku to use:

still alive
under the slightness of my hat
enjoying the coolness


rainy season
sea glow lights held up
by the night watchman


logged tree
see the larger cut end is
a harvest moon



Logged Tree (I couldn't retrieve the owner of this image. If you know the owner or are the owner of this image
please let me know)
the blue sea
in waves smelling of saké
tonight's full moon

early summer rain
the green of a rock cypress
lasting how long


on a bare branch
a crow settled down

autumn evening

© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

Six nice haiku by the master to work with. Create your renga together with the master himself. Enjoy!

This Renga Challenge is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 11th at noon (CEST). Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment