Thursday, October 10, 2013

Carpe Diem #319, Shell (provided by Lolly)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today we share haiku on Shell (provided by Lolly). And I think this will give wonderful crafted haiku. I am looking forward to all your wonderful haiku inspired on "shell".

As a young boy my granddad told me once that "if you hold a shell against your ear you can hear the sea". Of course I didn't believed that, but my granddad, living in the middle of a big forest, nodded at me and gave me a wonderful shell. "Try it", he said.
I was a brave boy, and I loved my granddad very much, so I did what he asked me. I held the shell against my ear ... "I can hear really the sea!" I screamed full of excitement. My granddad smiled at me and sai: "I told you so ... you have to listen to your granddad". That day I held the shell against my ear for several hours. It was really a joy to hear the sea.
As I grew up I learned that it wasn't the sea that I heard in the shell, but the sound of my bloodstream. Now I am a granddad myself and I have told that same little story to my grandkids. Well ... they are still young and some day they will discover the truth about the sound of the sea you can hear with a shell against your ear.

Source: Listening to the sea

in the forest
with a sea shell at my ear
I hear the sea

I hear the sea
in a seashell - wisecrack of granddad
it's my bloodstream





Ah I like those stories, and those practical jokes. Really a nice theme for today's episode of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. Have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all. This prompt will stay on 'til October 12th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode, Embracing (provided by Maggie Grace), later on today around 7.00 PM (CET).
!! Shell is open for your submissions at 7.00 PM (CET) !!



11 comments:

  1. The image you have created with the sea shell in the forest is very vivid, Kristjaan. Beautiful memories from the childhood, truly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your haiku today--very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely haiku and prompt Kristjaan.. and a great prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful memories as a child you share
    I still believe there is a miniature ocean in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the prompt and your story...so well told in your first haiku. I still like to think it's the sea. I forget the reality of the ear sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your granddad sounds like he was a wonderful person - love the seashell story and your haiku. thanking you and Lolly. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. Very nice website! I was wondering if you and your readers are interested in submitting haiku to The Autumn Haiku Contest. The winner will be chosen by the readers of my blog, "Discover Japan," and receive a beautiful Japanese poster. Here is more information: http://wp.me/p3PGbl-aE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. You have a very nice website! I was wondering if you and your readers are interested in submitting haiku to The Autumn Haiku contest. Here is more information: http://wp.me/p3PGbl-aE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such tender memories... beautiful writing, Kristjaan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this topic! Mine is late, so you can find me at:
    http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/through-a-shell/

    ReplyDelete