Monday, October 21, 2013

Carpe Diem's Make the Haiku complete #2


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Two weeks ago I started this new feature "Make the Haiku Complete", and I got very positive reactions and comments on this new challenge ... so I think this new feature / challenge will be fun and a strong part of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.
The goal for this new feature is to make the haiku complete and this week I have found a really nice haiku by Matsuo Basho ... that haiku by Basho has a little anecdote which I love to share with you all.

This haiku by Basho he wrote somewhere in 1690 on a sheet of paper next to another few haiku written by him, but this haiku he really didn't complete ... he forgot the third line or couldn't compose a third line. So this haiku is really incomplete.
Maybe we can complete this 'unfinished' haiku after almost 325 years ... that's the challenge for this episode of "Make the Haiku Complete" ... write the third line of this haiku by Basho.

tsuma kou te nezasa kazuku ya ..............

missing a wife
the bamboo grass dives under
.............................

Bamboo grass

Well ... I think this one isn't easy ... but I have to try it (of course) myself too. So here is my attempt to write a third line to this haiku by Basho,

missing a wife
the bamboo grass dives under -
wise men's gathering (*)

(*) refers to the "The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove", a group of Chinese scholars and poets in the mid third century,very similar with what Henry Thoreau describes in his "Walden, Life in the Woods".

The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove

I think that I have made this haiku complete in the spirit of Basho, but ... that's not up to me to decide. I challenge you my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers to make this unfinished haiku by Basho complete by writing the third line. Have fun ...

This episode of Carpe Diem's Make the Haiku Complete will stay on 'til November 4th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will (try) to post a new episode on that same day.
!! Make the Haiku Complete #2 is now open for your submissions !!


3 comments:

  1. I have it a go or three but I was definitely not doing it justice in afraid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted, but will keep thinking...
    fun idea for an episode and challenge.
    Not an easy one for sure !
    Peace
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete