Sunday, October 20, 2013

Carpe Diem's "Little Ones" #6 Thanbauk "Lonely Flower".


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to share a new episode of Carpe Diem's "Little Ones", notwithstanding my lack of time I have found a little moment of peace (in my nightshift) to prepare this new episode.
This "Little Ones" episode is about the Burmese poetry form 'Thanbauk'. It consists of three lines of four syllables each. Traditionally, they are full of humour. It also has a rhyme in it. The rhyme is on the fourth syllable of the first line, the third syllable of the second, and on the second syllable of the third.

X X X A
X X A X
X A X X


I found a nice Thanbauk somewhere on the Internet, it's written by Mya Thein:


red rose blooms right
glows in night light
bright sight lures bees

(c) Mya Thein




In the above schematic "image" the A stands  for the syllable which has the rhyme. I had never heard of this "Little One" until Bjorn shared a Thanbauk in our last episode of Freestyle. I like this short (haiku-like) form of poetry, but it isn't easy to write a Thanbauk. So decided (for myself) I give it a try, but without the humour, just the syllables-count and the rhyme. So here is my first attempt to write a Thanbauk:

lonely flower
his power hour
blue 
spider glimpse

I had to think this one over and over again, because I am not that familiar with the English syllable-rules and rhyme-words. So I have used a syllable-count-program and rhyme-word program on the Internet.

And another Thanbauk which I found on the Internet, I couldn't retrieve the name of the poet:

turn on the lights;
don't let sights of
dark nights haunt you

Well ... I hope you enjoyed this episode of Carpe Diem's "Little Ones" and I hope that this Thanbauk will start of live for you all my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers. Of course you may also post another kind of "Little Ones"-poetry e.g. Pi-ku, Sedoka or Villanelle ... Just have fun!

Our next episode of "Little Ones" I will (try) to post around October 31th. This episode will stay on 'till that same date at Noon. !! Little Ones Thanbauk is now open for your submissions !!





5 comments:

  1. Writing a thanbauk is both fun and rewarding I think... one can also write them in multiple stanzas Love what you presented here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a real challenge and I enjoyed it a lot; allowed me to celebrate after a week or remembrance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this one was a challenge. It was fun though thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Id try a villanelle and that was a challenge. the prompt was excellent

    ReplyDelete
  5. at first it was intimidating but once i jumped in it was not bad at all - thanks! i was unsure if we had to keep to the theme lonely flower - if so, well, i went way off track. ☺

    ReplyDelete