Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Carpe Diem's Kamishibai #6 "lighthouse"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I thought that it would be time for another new episode of Carpe Diem's Kamishibai, our irregular feature about haibun (prose and poetry) as we know for example "The Narrow Road to the Deep North", by Basho.
The original haibun was a travel-journal in which the haiku-poet wrote about his journey and enclosed haiku in it to catch the essence of the journey. Here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai haibun is a story, to which the meaning of Kamishibai refers, Kamishibai means "Storyteller".


Source: Kamishibai

For this episode I would love to make it more of a challenge for you to write a haibun, so I have a few "rules" for this episode. I will give you five words which you have to use and your haibun has a maximum of 150 words (and that's including the haiku). A challenging task I think, and I hope those "rules" aren't making it to difficult to write a haibun.

The five words are: harbor; lighthouse; fishermen; cliff and moon 

My attempt to write a haibun with the "rules" I gave.

Seagulls cry ...

Serene night, waves soothing, the full moon in all her beauty. A  fishing boat dances calmly on the waves while the fishermen are at sleep, dreaming of their loved ones. Suddenly the face of the moon is clouded with black clouds. The fishermen still in dream world. Then hell breaks loose ... a heavy rainstorm sweeping up the waves. The fishermen awaken and trying to save their catch, struggling with the sails. The storm rages on ... cliffs rise up out the high waves. The lighthouse light flashes over the waves as if it will say “here is the save harbor”. Prayers rise up as the storm becomes stronger. Will God hear them?
As the new day rises, the storm has calmed, the birds start singing ... seagulls cry ... a ravaged ship beneath the cliffs.


full moon hides
clouds tumble over each other -
lighthouse flash


Source: Lighthouse

This Kamishibai episode will be open for your submissions until November first 11.59 AM (CET) and I will (try) to post a new Kamishibai episode on that same day. For now ... have fun and share your haibun with our Haiku Kai.



4 comments:

  1. thank you for your comments at pure haiku! I'm following you! will try and get some haiku over to you but can't promise when - just started a new novel... much love Freya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring write up.....made me write a haibun based on the wee hours after my deceased wife and I were married.... (am once again happily married)....Anyway, thanks...... opie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a superb haibun. Really full of atmosphere with the deadly end. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I am late. I missed this on accident.

    ReplyDelete