Sunday, October 13, 2013

Carpe Diem's Freestyle #4


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

To give you all the space to share your haiku, senryu, tanka, kyoka and all other Japanese kinds of poetry I have launched a little while ago the Carpe Diem's Freestyle feature. I will try to publish a Freestyle episode once a month.

Freestyle is what it is ... just share your poetry without a given prompt, maybe you have read a wonderful haiku, or did you write an awesome haiku but it didn't suit to the prompts given. Then this is the place to share that poetry with Carpe Diem. Feel free to share your poetry and enjoy the publishing here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.




For this episode of "Free-style" I love to share a "Troiku" I have used one of my favorite haiku written by my Master Basho:

the pumpkins look cool
flecked with mud
from the morning dew

1: the pumpkins look cool
    almost humanlike -
    all souls night

2: flecked with mud
    the white chrysanthemums
    after the storm

3: from the morning dew
    Monarch butterfly drinks to life -
    sound of funeral bells

Awesome! What a nice Troiku, even better then I thought. After reading it twice aloud I felt that there is a connection between all three haiku destilled from the haiku by Basho.


Monarch Butterfly

Well I hope you liked it and I love to invite you all to share your own Freestyle here with us. This Freestyle-episode will stay on 'till November 15th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will try to publish that same day the new episode of Freestyle.



5 comments:

  1. Love your troiku.. have not tried that yet... But today I wanted to try something else. I wrote a haiku in the style of a thanbauk ... a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I understand the troiku. I am not sure why it eluded me for so long, but I am going to give it a try. Yours came out spectacularly. Full of autumn imagery. Well done. I especially find it funny that Basho's first line "the pumpkins look cool" can be taken for modern American slang "cool."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful troika! Am glad I can enjoy it this year. That first one would have spooked me in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Troika-will have to try it someday:-)

    ReplyDelete