Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Carpe Diem Ghost Writer #17, Managua Gunn's Forest


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another week has gone and so it's time for a new Ghost Writer episode ... this week I have a Ghost-Writer post for you by Managua Gunn of Managua Gunn's Cabin Fever and I hope you all like this new GW-post very much.
!! I have published our new CDHK-prompt-list for August ... you can find it HERE !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FOREST

I am happy in the forest. The feeling of serenity that comes from walking in a forest does not stem from imagination. The natural setting, changing scenery with seasons and aromas, breezes all have wonderful benefits, and studies show that time spent among trees boosts immune system, lowers blood pressure, accordingly reduces stress and improves mood, increases ability to focus, accelerates recovery from surgery or illness, increases energy level and improves sleep,: the whole package in fact. The Japanese found a term for it: shinrin-yoku. 'forest bathing,' and Japanese health officials
encourage people to visit forests to relieve stress and improve health. The secret is in the science: while we breathe in the fresh air, we breathe in phytoncides, airborne chemicals that plants give off to protect themselves from insects. Phytoncides have antibacterial and antifungal qualities which help plants fight disease. When people breathe in these chemicals, their bodies respond by increasing the number and activity of a type of white blood cell called natural killer cells or NK. These cells kill tumorand virus-infected cells in our bodies. In one study, increased NK activity from a 3-day, two. night forest bathing trip lasted for more than thirty days. Japanese researchers are currently exploring whether exposure to forests can help prevent certain kinds of cancer. And spending time in nature, looking at plants, water, birds and other aspects of nature gives the cognitive portion of our brain a break, allowing us to focus better and renew our ability to be patient.

© Managua 'Hamish' Gunn
Patients recover from surgery faster and better when they have a "green" view. Hospital patients may be stressed from a variety of factors, including pain, fear, and disruption of normal routine. Research found that patients with "green" views had shorter postoperative stays, took fewer painkillers, and had slightly fewer postsurgical complications compared to those who had no view or a view of a cement wall.
All these are just thoughts of course, for the writer must seek isolation, whether he or she likes it or not. So I walk through the forests and hills back to my train, marvelling that yet again I found my way.

My task today, as your ghostwriter at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, is to ask you to take a pen and pad of paper to the forest nearest to where you live. It is important you stand among the trees to compose your haiku – please feel free to add some notes about the forest you have chosen, or the collection of trees or plantation.
© Managua 'Hamish' Gunn
Here are a couple from Basho, in the Forest theme.

won't you come and see
loneliness? Just one leaf
from the kiri tree


Cedar umbrellas, off
to Mount Yoshimo for
the cherry blossoms


I look forward to reading your haiku from your forest! Thanks again to Kristjaan.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What a wonderful post, don't you think so too? Not an easy to read one, but I think it inspires you in a special way ... and what an idea it is to take paper and pencil with you outside and make a walk through the forest. Let nature itself inspire you ...
This GW-post is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 18th at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, the third haiku by Issa, later on. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.



4 comments:

  1. I love love love forests too.... I used to live on a hilltop on the outskirts of a a small town called dehradun... thats my hpmetown as well... beautiful place... loved reading your GW post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too. I am definitely a tree hugging dirt worshipper and I walk every day. I walk in forests as often as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I can never pen too many poems about the life in the forest. I grew up at the ocean and now I live with a forest as my yard - how fortunate to have two worlds influence me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Managua --
    Thank you for writing this post and encouraging us to get out in nature! :) I always feel better after having been among the trees.

    ReplyDelete