Saturday, June 22, 2013

Carpe Diem #228, Aota (Green paddy)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

A little while ago we had rice-planting for prompt and today as we have entered late-Summer, we will visit the rice-fields again The rice-fields are green now and a joy to look at. Just a little while and the rice can be harvested.
Today our late-Summer kigo is Aota (Green Paddy) and as I was preparing this episode I couldn't find the right haiku because there are not so many haiku written on Aota (Green Paddy). At least I couldn't find them.

oki-oki no yokume hipparu aota kana

as soon as he gets up
the green fields draw to them
his gready eyes

(C) Issa

Blyth comments on this one by haiku in his Haiku Vol. 3 the following:

When the rice in his paddy-fields is beginning to form, the farmer;s whole soul is put into the growing rice. Every morning, as soon as he wakes, the first thing he wants to see, or as Issa rather feels, the first thing that wants to be seen by him, is these fields. They are to him

An appetite; a feeling and a love,
That have no need of a remoter charm,
By thought supplied, nor any interest
Unborrowed from the eye.



Credits: Aota (Green Paddy)

I can imagine that very well. I recognize the feeling. It's the same as I feel when I have completed an episode of Carpe Diem.
I think you all have the same experiences.
OK ... enough written ... let's do some haiku composing on Aota (Green Paddy).

on the green paddy
no more rice planting songs -
just rustling of rice

Hm ... not a strong one, but I like it very much. I hope that you enjoyed this episode and that it will inspire you to write your own haiku on Aota (Green Paddy).
This prompt will stay on 'til June 24th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode of Carpe Diem, Hanabi (Fireworks), later on today around 9.00 PM (CET). !!! The Linking Widget of this episode will be open for submission at 9.00 PM (CET) !!!

Namaste



8 comments:

  1. I have a question: Why is it that the end of June is considered 'late summer'? It has just begun here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Joanne, summer has just begun indeed, but to share kigo of whole summer in one month I have divided June in 3 parts. 1. June 1st until June 10th for early summer; 2. June 11th until June 20th mid-summer and 3. June21th 'til June 30th late-summer. So that's why we have now kigo for late summer. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  2. WONDERFUL PAGE, and your haiku IS very nice, with the rustling rice, that can be heard now. PS, found a wonderful haibun by Basho - http://teawithapirate.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/matsuo-bashos-narrow-road-to-the-deep-north-a-haibun/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that haibun by Basho. I have written my own 'narrow road' in Dutch inspired on this haibun by Basho. He has written more haibun and I have read them all. It's really a wonderful haibun 'narrow road'. It descrbes Basho's search for 'karumi' or enlightenment. And is based on a journey that last 160 days on foot. He walked 2400 km.

      Delete
  3. Lovely word picture there! And great prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the rustling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page today.. I Love the rustling of rice... great haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found my way here thanks to sara. I've been reading but not participating. Very much enjoy what you do. I hope to join today. Might not be impressive but I am drawn to your space. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete