Sunday, June 30, 2013

Carpe Diem #235, Otiosity


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today the start of a new month of daily prompts to write haiku about. This month all the prompts are words which I 'harvested' from the new novel by Paulo Coelho "Manuscript found in Accra". This novel is very similar with the novels by Kahlil Gibran e.g. The Prophet, but in a way very different. It's based on a manuscript that once was found in Accra. (look HERE for the complete prompt-list)
This month will not be easy, not for you, but also not for me, because English isn't my maiden tongue, so I think I have to search frequently for the meaning of the prompts or synonyms. It will be a challenge to deliver our every day posts this month, but ... well I love it and I enjoy it all very much, so it will turn out the right way.


Credits: Paulo Coelho

And of course, how exciting, this month we have wonderful haiku for the Specials written by Jane Reichhold, one of the most wellknown haiku poetesses of our time. I am so glad and proud that she has granted me permission to use her haiku for this month. I am looking forward to all her nice haiku and the haiku which you will compose inspired on the ones by Jane Reichhold. This month of Carpe Diem will become a great and extraordinary month. So have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with Carpe Diem. And maybe you know someone else who likes to write haiku ... invite them to join in our haiku community.

OK ... back to our todays prompt, the first of July. Today we share haiku on Otiosity (or futility, uselessness, vacuity) not an easy prompt I think ... but it's for sure challenging ....


thrown away
the Holy Scripture
is it useless?

otiosity?
every day newspaper
on the doormat

on the doormat
no more newspapers -
surfing the net


A wonderful set I think, not an easy prompt (at least to me), but have fun and be inspired. Share your haiku with us all here on Carpe Diem. This prompt will stay on 'till July 2th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode, Fortitude, later on around 8.00 PM (CET). !! Submissions for this episode can be linked at 8.00 PM (CET). !!


8 comments:

  1. Maybe it will help some of us to write, if we explore the various shades of meaning:

    o·ti·ose [oh-shee-ohs, oh-tee-] Show IPA
    adjective
    1.
    being at leisure; idle; indolent.
    2.
    ineffective or futile.
    3.
    superfluous or useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to go with #s 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, MMT. I usually look for broader meanings too. Sometimes they inspire me. Kristjaan, I like this new challenge. Thank you for all the hard work you do to help us strengthen our haikus and to enjoy this love of haiku we all share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY interesting! Thank you, Master Kristjaan! Looks exciting!
    We should EACH invite at least one person, yes. Beautiful haiku there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word. Never heard it before, thanks kristjaan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing has ever been written that we can;t learn something from Kristjaan...even in newspapers and scriptures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't know I could get even more enjoyment from the prompts here. Now, I learn a new word! Thank you, Kristjaan, for your inspired efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for a great post and prompts for haiku ~ lovely cascading haiku ~ Happy Day to Youl

    Thanks for 'visiting' ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete