Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Carpe Diem #623, Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)


!! This episode is published earlier, because I am in the night shift !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I hope you all did like the "double" post yesterday in which we read a wonderful poem by Robert Frost and a gorgeous haiku by Richard Wright. I already have read wonderful responses, but the haiku shared by Björn of Brudberg's Writings was really gorgeous. Björn tried to catch both poems into one haiku ... and in my opinion he did a great job on that. I love to share his haiku here again:

Credits: Snow-angel

In the crow’s shadow
I become a child again -
making snow-angels


© Björn Rudberg

Isn't it a beauty?

Ok ... back to our prompt for today, Northern Light (Aurora Borealis), extracted from Jane Reichhold's saijiki "A Dicitionary of Haiku". This month all the prompts are modern kigo (seasonwords) for winter and Jane has gathered a lot of them. Here is the haiku which she shared for "Northern Lights":


Northern Lights
a white robed choir sings
to radio static
Northern Lights as seen from the Northern Provinces of The Netherlands

A beauty I think ... it's so well build and in tune with the time of year. This haiku brings a church choir in mind as I know them from the Gospelchoirs or Pentacostal Church, enjoying their belief in praising the Lord and that joy and praise becomes even stronger as I see the Northern Lights in front of my mind's eyes. Gorgeous and such a great image ... wow! Thanks Jane for this wonderful haiku. How can I ever touch that same quality as the haiku by Jane? Will not be easy ... so I have sought in my archive and found the following cascading haiku on Auruora Borealis:

treat of Mother Earth
coloring the skies
Aurora Borealis
Aurora Borealis
a palette of colors
treat of Mother Earth
© Chèvrefeuille
 Well ... I hope you all did like this episode and I hope it will inspire you to write an all new haiku or tanka ... This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until December 13th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, snow, later on.

 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring my haiku... I had already written it when I realized that you had two link-ups.. :-) As for Northern Light.. I love that... your take is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to share it here Björn, because it's a beauty and it brings both poems of our earlier post so well.
      Your creative writing course has done you well ...

      Delete
  2. Great prompt, Kristjaan. Really enjoyed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful haiku theme...i borrowed your photo too...thanks!

    ReplyDelete