Thursday, December 13, 2012

Carpe Diem #69, Year Market (toshi no ichi)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

When I was preparing this month's list of prompts I ran into a wonderful prompt 'Year Market', the first thing I thought was that's on Christmas fairs, but that isn't completely true. As I sought further I found a better name for this prompt ... Toshi No Ichi translated means 'Last Market of the Year' and that, my friends, sounds better. Japan has a big tradition on 'markets and fairs'. Whole year through there are lots of fairs and markets where you can go to. Toshi No Ichi was really the last market of the year. At that market the Japanese bought decorations and ornaments for the New Year's Celebrations for low prices. After Toshi No Ichi there weren't any markets organized 'til after the festivities for New Year.
Toshi No Ichi can be compared with our Christmas Fairs as they are organized in the days before Christmas. On these fairs all kinds of goods are sold for the Holidays and New Year's Eve.

Credits: Christmas Fair Barcelona

Credits: Winter Fair York

Toshi No Ichi

It's always a joy to walk over these Year Markets ... brings me to the Christmas feeling. I have written the next haiku as a response on this theme for today 'Year Market (Toshi No Ichi)':

wandering over the fair
feeling Christmas deep inside
Gluhwein (*) warms my heart

(*) warm red wine with Clove and Cinnamon, a delicious hot drink especially for the winter holidays.

This prompt will stay on 'til December 15th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new prompt today around 10.00 PM (CET). Than our prompt will be: Hawk (taka).

Have fun! Be Inspired and Creative. And ...  SHARE ...

 

7 comments:

  1. Kristjaan, lovely but difficult prompt. I need to mull about that a little... Which makes me think about mulled wine. In Sweden we hav glögg which is similar to Glühwein, but sweeter and with more spices.

    Here I share a recipe. http://brudberg.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/mulled-wine-glogg/

    wonderful haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very difficult prompt. My favorite kind because I usually learn a lot. Thanks. I'd like to try gluhwein. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this prompt a lot.... and your haiku is amazing....

    Ta
    Tarun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this a hard prompt for some reason. Pondering all day until a summer wine assisted a little.
    Please excuse my using your image Kristjaan, I had written the haiku and yours was the closest I could find to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely holiday photography and love the haiku as it warms my mind and heart ~

    (A Creative Harbor) aka artmusedog and Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a hard topic for me, too. I avoid the Christmas Market in Cologne. My pictures have been made in Celle. I like cinnamon and cloves, but usually glühwein isn't made from the best wines and you easily get a hangover the next day. Anyway, here are my haiku. Thanks Kristjaan, especially for the work during a busy period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Kristjaan for these daily haiku prompts. I just saw your comments which were locked away on wordpress's spam - very kind words, thank you, and the comments have now been unlocked. Your haiku are an inspiration, as are the classical Japanese ones. Love your write-ups.

    ReplyDelete