Monday, December 24, 2012

Carpe Diem #78, frost (shimo)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

First I will wish you all a Merry Christmas. Second I am proud ... I have read wonderful haiku on the Special by Buson ... makes me even a little bit jealous, because I couldn't write a haiku inspired on the one I gave by Buson, well ... no that's not true, sometimes lack of inspiration can be a pain in the ass.
Maybe later on this year or in the New Year that I find the inspiration to write a haiku inspired on the 'Millionaire' by Buson.

Today is Christmas day and our new prompt for Carpe Diem is 'frost'(shimo). As I 'tried' to write this post I thought about that lovely Christmas song 'Frosty the Snowman'


I had to share this lovely song ... sorry ...

Well back to the purpose of this post writing a haiku on 'frost'. What is 'frost'?
Frost forms when water vapor freezes into ice crystals on cold surfaces. In winter, temperatures are usually low as the sun is low in the sky during the day and the nights are long. On clear nights, when there is no blanket of clouds to keep the warmth in, then any heat received during the day quickly escapes. The temperature will therefore drop considerably and as the moisture in the air freezes, the ground will be covered with frost.
There are several haiku written on 'frost'. For example this one by Issa:

asa shimo ni ushio o chirasu miyai kana

morning frost melts
in the floodtide...
Shinto shrine


Issa





Or this one by Buson, our haiku master for this month:

asatsuyuya mada shimo shiranu kamino ochi

Morning dew--
Though by frost untouched
A hair fell.


Buson

Or this one, also by Buson:

ejino himo shirashira shimono yoakekana

The guards' fire
Whitish turns
a frosty daybreak.


Well, enough haiku by the great haiku masters, time for the 'modern haiku master' to write his haiku on 'frost (shimo)' (how immodest).

frozen flowers
this late winter day -
longing for Spring



frozen windows
the Almighty painted
wonderful flowers


deep in my bones
I feel the icy cold of frost -
my heart still warm
 
That's it my dear friends. During Christmas I haven't time to post our new episode of Carpe Diem. So I will post two new episodes on December 27th around 11.59 AM (CET). So you all can have a rest for writing and composing haiku.

Have fun with this post and have a wonderful Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your frozen windows!! Perfect! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristjaan, may you too have a rest from haiku! Christmas joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Kristjaan!
    Thanks for the song, the images and all the wonderful haiku you have posted.
    My favorite one is the second you have written:
    frozen windows
    the Almighty painted
    wonderful flowers

    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your break, haijin friend. Happy holidays.
    I like the last ku you wrote the best. The last line "my heart is still warm" is a nice double play on words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are absolutely delightful and I love hearing Frosty sung. The movie was great too. I love writing poetry, but am not one to write haiku, maybe because I am too wordy? :-)

    Blessed and merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. with that first haiku, modern haiku master you might as well be ;) happy holidays! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Kristjaan!
    May each day of the coming year be filled with Peace and Joy !

    Working nights is difficult under the best circumstances. The joy from your patients and the joy your patients receive from you being their nurse is a reward, in my eyes.
    Rest, restore your creative energies and we will be here.

    Peace Joy and love, to you and your family
    during this Christmas Season and always,
    Siggi in Downeast Maine,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Kristjaan! I love coming here everyday and meet you all... I adore the haiku set you have shared with us.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know whether or not I would get this one done ... but here it is!! I am glad to see we will have a short break. Merry Christmas everyone ... we may indeed have "frost" tomorrow -- or possibly a light dusting of snow ... OHHHHH so unusual for us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas - lovely haiku about flowers longing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A belated Merry Christmas my fiends, from a warm and happy Brisbane. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete