Friday, December 21, 2012

Carpe Diem #76, Quilt (futon)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another day in Carpe Diem's paradise. I have read wonderful haiku on 'Early Plum Blossom' and 'Fireplace'. It's a joy to see that there are more haiku poets that come and share their haiku on Carpe Diem's daily haiku meme. It makes me proud and also humble that I am able to host Carpe Diem for you all.

Today we have Quilt (futon) for prompt. I think this one doesn't need explanation. A quilt is a kind of blanket made of several patches of cotton and stuffed with fuzz or wool. I have sought for a few haiku on this prompt and found these:

Written by Buson:

waga hone no futon ni sawaru shimoyo kana

right to my bones
through the quilt pierces
the frost tonight

Or this one also by Buson:

teshokushite yoki futon dasu yosamu kana

with lantern in hand
taking out a heavy quilt -

a cold night!

Japanese Quilt (futon)

And what do you think of this one written by Issa?

korogi no kanshuku to suru fusuma kana

the cricket's
winter residence ...
my quilt

There are a lot of other examples I think, but I have to compose my own haiku on 'Quilt (futon)', so here I go:

quilt up to my head
laying beneath the open window
this icy cold night

her old hands
sewing another quilt for me
my grandmother

Japanese Quilt (futon)

this cold winter night
laying naked under my quilt
feels like summer

Not an easy prompt to write haiku on, but ... well ... be inspired and creative and share your haiku with us here on Carpe Diem.

This prompt will stay on 'till December 23th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode later on today around 10.00 PM (CET) ... that will be 'icicles (tsurara)' another nice 'late-winter' kigo.


12 comments:

  1. How come that I place my Haiku first? Ilike the picture of your grandmother. One of my grand aunts once stitched my name on cloth to be worn at my Kendo tare. That's something also to remind me of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 wonderful haiku there from you...kind of think you outplayed the masters there - the last one is just right!Perfect simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a pleasure to lie under a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice prompt. And your grandmother haiku was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't choose just one, they are all wonderful today, Kris. Thank you for these little gems and for hosting this lovely weblog! Merry, merry to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad im not so late this time ^^ great prompt and haiku for inspiration ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. The images.. the quilts.. especially that last haiku about your grandmother.. you left me curious on that one.. and the last quilt was stunning.. My sister enjoyed things like that.. Old quilts and antique tin cans.. I still have a Japanese tin can of hers.. It's gold trimmed and it has Japanese villagers on it, sifting water by the creek and they're wearing their fancy hats and carrying those Japanese fans.. She would have loved this.. Thank you so much for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence, Kristjaan! We both have mentioned our grandmas in our haiku. I always read your explanations and haiku after posting mine, believe me, her old hands...
    Your images are so beautiful!
    Warm and wonderful haiku, all of them, lying quilt up to your head, hehehe, yes, even wearing a wool hat.
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah the feeling of laying naked under a warm quilt on a cold winters night...bliss until you have to get up :)
    Masterful haiku as always Kristjaan, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful prompt tied to precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's my link, http://planetcyberluz.com/2012/12/22/healing-energy/
    The linky still does not like me :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can feel the love and warmth, and I can hear soft giggles.....

    ReplyDelete