Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Carpe Diem Special #141, Kala Ramesh's "lotus viewing"


Dear haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's really a honor that I may use the haiku by Kala Ramesh and this month will be exciting because of the journey through the Bhagavad Gita. As asked Kala for permission she emailed me several haiku which I could use and she even had a haiku which fits our Bhagavad Gita theme this month. That haiku is our CD-Special today.

lotus viewing . . .
the flowering
within

© Kala Ramesh

As you maybe know the Lotus stands for inner growth and spiritual growth and that's exactly what the Bhagavad Gita is about. There he stands, Arjuna, in the middle of two great armies. He becomes sad and anxious as he sees those armies and than he and Krishna start a conversation. That conversation will lead Arjuna to that moment that the Lotus, from the depths of the pond grows to the surface of the pond reaching for the sun and than .... the Lotus blooms fully .... Arjuna becomes enlightened and sees the balance between life and dead, between good and evil ... than he sees Atman.

This is what I sense as I read the haiku by Kala, a wonderful and spiritual haiku ... awesome.

Credits: Lotus in full bloom (Dutch website)

As you all know (maybe) the goal of these CD-Specials are to write a haiku in the same sense, tone and spirit as the one given (in this episode the haiku by Kala Ramesh). No need to follow the classical rules, but if you like to do so than ... please feel free.

Here is my attempt to write/compose a new haiku inspired on the one by Kala and in the same sense, tone and spirit as her haiku (I hope).

awakening
at last - Lotuses start blooming
in the old pond

© Chèvrefeuille

A beauty I would say, but that's not up to me of course. Another one which I love to share here also:


lotus flowers
rising from the depths of the pond
everlasting love

everlasting love
like a river flows onwards
uncertain of its goal

uncertain of its goal
rising from the depths of the pond
lotus flowers


© Chèvrefeuille




Well ... enough inspiration I think. Now it's up to you, my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers, to write/compose (an all new) haiku inspired on the haiku by Kala Ramesh trying to catch the sense, tone and spirit ....

PS. The above haiku are from my archives.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until April 11th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, immortality, later on. Than we will go on with our journey and exploration of the Bhagavad Gita.

6 comments:

  1. Kala Ramesh wrote me the kindest thank you for a brief analysis I did of her previous haiku. Thank you so much for featuring her this month. I think she is a remarkable woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Hamish! I'm lapping up all your praise :D
      I read your analysis of this haiku on your home page - it's absolutely lovely.
      I'm deeply touched.

      Delete
  2. Well, I enjoyed this post, and your haiku very much, and went for real depth this time - I just hope it is not too dull for readers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too hard on yourself, Chevrefeuille - there's much more going on in your first haiku than meets the eye. At least, that's how I read it. :) A great post, Chevrefeuille :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a moving post, Kristjaan! and your haiku are simply stunning. I truly enjoy reading Ramesh's work, thank you for this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Kristjaan for choosing my haiku.
    Your write-up and the picture of the lotus is making this page really grand!
    I like the haiku you've written too. It's poignant.

    ReplyDelete