Thursday, June 11, 2015

Carpe Diem #753 arts


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today's prompt arts I had some trouble with. I couldn't get the relation with summer and arts, because in my opinion arts is something for every season, but as I read the haiku on arts by Jane herself I started to understand it. Arts ... are really most specific for summer. Summer is the season for living outside your home, to go into the forest, into nature and summer is in any way the perfect season to shoot wonderful photos or paint gorgeous "open air" paintings. Or the wonderful colors of e.g. the mountains touched by raindrops .... yes I think summer and arts are perfect together and I do understand now why Jane has included arts as a modern summer kigo (seasonword).

Haiku and art are in a way bound together and I even have tried to bring a special feature here on CDHK about art and haiku, maybe you can remember "Carpe Diem's Arti-visual Haiku". I have just done that feature once and maybe I have to bring it up here again. Here is the goal:


You may choose a piece of art, that can be a painting, a sculpture, a photo or something else made by for example Vincent Van Gogh, but it also can be an art-piece made by yourself. Maybe you are a painter or a photographer. You may also use a piece of art which you have made especially for this feature.
The artwork you use must be the inspiration for your haiku. So for this episode you may use for example a sculpture which you have made yourself, but there has to be a classical or non-classical haiku inspired on the art-work in your post. I have given you the prompt arts for today, but there is no need to use it. You can decide for yourself which prompt or theme you will use, but it must have to do with summertime. Feel free and share also your own art-work as I will do myself.

Of course I love to share a few haiku by Jane in this episode:

covered with pollen
looking deep into a flower
camera lens

holding the day
between my hands
the new clay bowl

waterfall painting
dripping enough water
to tint the rock


© Jane Reichhold

Credits: photo © Chèvrefeuille
The above photo I made myself. It's the city park just around the corner. This park is a nice place to be in every season, but I enjoy it mostly in summer. You can go fishing there, do some sunbathing, swimming or just go there to sit down in deep silent meditation. This (above) photo you maybe have seen earlier that's correct as you have visited my personal weblog once, than you could have seen it, but it's also at Wonder Haiku Worlds, an international website on haiku and other poetry forms.

I have written several haiku inspired on this photo, and I used it as the cover for my first Dutch haiku-book titled "Deep Silence" (or in Dutch "diep is de stilte"). The haiku which I composed than (2009) was inspired by this photo:

silence
in between worlds
the city park


© Chèvrefeuille (2009)

I have another photo of this wonderful city park, it's taken from another angle to show the beauty of the park.
© photo Chèvrefeuille
waterlilies reach
from the mud to the bright sun
straight through the water

© Chèvrefeuille

I am looking forward to all of your responses on this episode of our Haiku Kai. This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until June 15th at noon (CET) (24 hours longer than usual). I will try to publish our new episode, meadow, later on. For now ... just have fun, be inspired and share your responses with us all here at our Haiku Kai.


8 comments:

  1. It's so important to have green areas in cities - especially green areas of wilderness, so that looks very good! Jane's 2nd haiku really very good, your firsst one really great, and second...I can see the Buddhist in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos and haiku are absolutely gorgeous, Chevrefeuille. Thank you also for the explanation of 'arts' as a kigo because I was really wondering about that when I saw the prompt list.

    Another great prompt - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. arts is such a great prompt, with so many genres from which to choose.....I knocked out seven, until I realized that was more than enough......Thank you for continued inspirations......opie

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading your post with its gems of explanation and haiku, made me feel so good.
    and then the pleasure of writing and selecting some of my own art to make the post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned haiku together with my art studies as a child so it is no surprise when you choose "art". I believe the masters used every medium to express...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was nice reading all the haiku and explanation. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Kristjaan! Your first photo of waterlilies is especially striking...makes me think of Monet's art. Green is peaceful, good for eyes and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like the final haiku of this prompt - "from the mud to the bright sun" is a marvellous phrase, one that sums up part of the essence of writing and reading haiku.

    ReplyDelete