Friday, June 26, 2015

Carpe Diem #763 outdoor concerts


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have two different episodes for you all. First there is this regular episode outdoor concerts and second we have another episode of Carpe Diem Time Machine, the feature in which we dive into the rich history of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Indian Summer (Koharu). This is our regular episode.

"Outdoor concerts" are really something for summer. Here in The Netherlands we have that kind of concerts very often and not only in summer, we have them also in spring and autumn of course if the weather is good.

One of the most known outdoor concerts is Woodstock back in the late sixties and I love to share a video of this outdoor concert hereafter.


It just brings memories back ... sweet memories and a lot of joy. I wasn't there of course, but as became a teenager I enjoyed the music of Woodstock very much.

Here are the haiku which Jane uses as examples for this modern kigo of summer:

after the concert
my souvenir is the tune
I can hum

call of the flute
answer of drums
among redwoods

flute concert
in the surf sea stones
move at sunset

flute concert
speaking Japanese fluently
the shakuhachi

island fishermen
singing with foreigners
learning to clap

shakuhachi
calling through the trees
with two notes

© Jane Reichhold

All wonderful haiku inspired on the theme "outdoor concerts". To close this episode I love to share a piece of shakuhachi music:


Awesome ... I love the sound of the Shakuhachi to me this is really Japanese culture, next to haiku of course. I think this kind of music can inspire to write new haiku too. So here I go ....

sultry summer night
the sound of the shakuhachi
deepens the silence

(C) Chèvrefeuille

I can see the above picture, the scene, in front of me .... I hope we will have such summer nights this summer ...

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until June 29th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, stones, later on.


2 comments:

  1. I forgot how much I liked that song- it's been a long, long while since I last heard it. RIP, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the soothing sound of the shakuhachi. Thank you for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete