Thursday, January 28, 2016

Carpe Diem #905 Throw That Pebble #3 drinking tea


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It is time again for our special feature "Throw That Pebble" with (of course) the regular prompt. Today that prompt is "drinking tea" and it is a modern kigo extracted from Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku". By the way ... recently I got a very uplifting email from Jane and I love to share a quote from that email with you.

Quote from email by Jane Reichhold:

[...] "You simply amaze me with the wealth of information you have on your website! You have one of the best sites on Japanese poetry you know! I am proud of you and pleased to be associated with you! Thanks for letting me tag along." [...]

I am honored that someone, that famous, like Jane Reichhold, says this about Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. I am just your humble host and I am glad and proud to be your host and to glorify the beauty of haiku and all those other wonderful Japanese poetry forms.


Today our prompt is drinking tea and as you all know the Japanese have drinking tea raised to an art-form. Tea ... a lovely hot drink, but also as ice-tea a good drink. Tea is worth a ceremony as we can see in classical Japan.


Japanese green tea

In Japan (even now) the tea ceremony is wonderful. I have once written a haibun on the tea ceremony of Rykyu, unfortunately that haibun I have written in my maiden language Dutch. The tea ceremony is full of spirituality and aesthetic.
Tea ... what about tea? Just tea ... enjoy it ... you.re so blessed when you drink tea (it's not my kind of drink, I am more of coffee). Take a cup and be inspired to write a haiku.

drinking tea
together with friends
what a party

what a party
being part of Rykyu's tea ceremony
drinking tea is art
© Chèvrefeuille

And here are a few haiku written by Jane Reichhold about tea for your inspiration


morning light
the taste of snow
in thin tea

heart-shadow
handle of a cup
of herb tea

clear tea
holding a calm
in the storm

out of the cup
cold air giving steam
a shape
© Jane Reichhold

Ah! That wonderful and very spiritual tea ceremony ... awesome isn't it?

As you know for "Throw That Pebble" you have only 24 hours to respond. Why such a short time? Well ... because haiku is the impression of a moment as short as the sound of a pebble thrown into water. That's why I challenge you to respond within 24 hours ... to learn to stay in the moment ... that short moment of time which is described in haiku.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until January 29th 7.00 PM (CET), that's only 24 hours! I will (try to) publish our new episode, Ume-no-hana (ume flower), later on.


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Chev! I must say I still think it is fantastic that Jane is so interested in CDHK. I remember when I first saw her website in 1997 when I was really interested in haiku, but never dared to write any - I read all her haiku and notes again and again.... and now, here she is, a part of CDHK - because of you! Wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristjaan - tea is always an intersting prompt.
    I won't have internet access for a couple of days, so I can't read your haiku and can't look at your comments. But I'll do so later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea! thanks, Chev :)
    https://ladyleemanila.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/carpe-diem-905-throw-that-pebble-3-drinking-tea/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honour, Chèvrefeuille! https://cheryllynnroberts.wordpress.com/2016/01/30/irish-tea-haibun-troiku/

    ReplyDelete