Saturday, January 16, 2016

Carpe Diem Vernacular #1 cherry blossom (kersenbloesem)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As promised ... here is our first episode of our new Carpe Diem special feature "Vernacular" in which I love to challenge you all to publish haiku in your own language, your mother tongue, your "vernacular".

In the first 'try out' issue of our own e-zine Souchou I published a few Dutch haiku and I think it would be great to read haiku, tanka and other Japanese poetry forms in your 'vernacular' (a synonym for 'mother tongue') my dear Haijin.

Carpe Diem Vernacular is especially created to give you all the opportunity to share your haiku in your mother tongue ... of course with an English translation.

"Vernacular" will be published every Saturday, so you have a week to respond ... good luck!

For this first episode I have chosen for one of my favorite themes for haiku, cherry blossom (in Dutch: kersenbloesem). 

Here is one of my Kersenbloesem haiku:

klaterend water
kersenbloesem valt
geluid van kikkers

And this is the English translation:

splashing waters
cherry blossoms falling gently
sound of frogs


© Chèvrefeuille

My Sakura (photo © Chèvrefeuille)

And here are two other Dutch haiku composed by myself:

zonsopgang
kersenbloesems ontluiken
zo breekbaar

In English:

daybreak
cherry blossoms open
so fragile


Japanse lente
kersenbloesems bloeien
wat een dag!


In English:

Japanese spring
cherry blossom blooms
what a day!

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... I think this new feature can be a wonderful spectacular challenge. I am looking forward to all of your vernacular haiku.

This first episode of Carpe Diem Vernacular is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Saturday January 23rd at noon (CET). Have fun!


1 comment: