Friday, September 9, 2016

Carpe Diem #1049 Fish and frogs



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,
As I was preparing the prompt-list for September I ran into several "strange" modern kigo in Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku" and one of those "strange" modern kigo was our prompt for today fish and frogs.
When I started reading her examples for this modern kigo I sometimes smiled and sometimes had questions on my face, but they all were exquisite.
Here are a few examples for this modern kigo:
heron silence
landing in the middle
of frog silence

silence
larger on the lily pad
a frog

delicate pastels
in the pain of a pinch
from a crab
new moons
at the edge of the pond
fish milt

© Jane Reichhold

All these haiku are beauties, but I think it will not be easy to create a haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form on this modern kigo.
Of course I have tried it and I came up with the following haiku:


croaking of frogs
resonates through the valley -
cry of a new born
© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... it's up to you now. This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until September 14th at noon (CET). I am on the nightshift so I hope to have time to publish our next episode, blossoms, later on. For now ... have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment