Sunday, September 25, 2016

Carpe Diem #1064 driftwood


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. I am on the nightshift, so I will not publish a big post today. In this month for Jane I have the prompts extracted from her modern saijiki "A Dictionary of Haiku" and today's prompt driftwood is from the autumn livelihood section.

I wasn't easy to create an episode on driftwood, but I found another nice haiku poet, John Stevenson, who wrote the following haiku on "driftwood", a nice one I think:

winter beach
a piece of driftwood
charred at one end

© John Stevenson (1948 -)

driftwood
Driftwood ... as I was searching for more on driftwood I ran into wonderful pieces of art made from driftwood ... but I like the "natural" driftwood more.

Here is the haiku extracted from "A Dictionary of Haiku" which Jane wrote as an example for this modern kigo "driftwood":

driftwood
sweater gray in
brown tones

© Jane Reichhold

I didn't know how to translate this word "driftwood", but after some research I understand what this "driftwood" is and than I ran into a few other haiku on "driftwood" by Jane Reichhold. And of course I love to share them here also for your inspiration:

high tide
the secret script
of driftwood scraps


on the island
no one goes to
driftwood
scattered
among driftwood
drifters


driftwood

up and down
driftwood lairs of lovers
come and go
© Jane Reichhold

And I found another nice one, but that one I have used at our "Tribute To Jane" tumblr.

I like this modern kigo, but I also found it very difficult to create a haiku with it, but I have given it a try and came up with this one, not a haiku, but a tanka:
strolling over the beach
beachcombing lovers
looking for driftwood
secret place for lust
tasting her salty skin
© Chèvrefeuille
Hmm ... I don't know ... tanka isn't really my "cup of tea". I hope Jane has inspired you.
This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until September 30th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, stars, later on and our last CD-Special by Dolores. For now ... have fun! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Your tanka is secretly a beautiful haiku, with revealing imagery and Sabi...the beachcombers are not looking for diamonds, or money, no, they are looking for driftwood..a very romantic idealism .....so the tanka could fade into great haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carpe Diem Challenge # 1064:

    east wind
    from a foreign shore
    driftwood

    ReplyDelete