Monday, September 26, 2016

Carpe Diem Special #220 Orion, a haibun by Dolores Fegan our featured haiku poetess


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's with a kind of sadness that I publish our last CD-Special for this month. Dolores, our winner of the "prayers' - kukai, is a very gifted poetess and I have already the content for her exclusive CDHK e-book which I have titled "First Magnolia Bloom". Her E-book is almost ready and than I will prepare it for downloading here at CDHK.

Dolores, as I discovered recently, has a wonderful haibun-blog om Medium and therefore I love to share a haibun written by her and extracted from her Medium blog "Haibun Journey - View From My Window". It's a nice haibun and it fits our regular prompt "stars" in a great way. Enjoy the read.

Orion

From my window far overhead and through the trees I can see the constellation Orion. It is clear enough to make out the hilt on his belt. His bow raised high in the sky. I remember my father teaching me the names of the constellations and the stars that made them up. I do not recall all the names, but am forever blessed with fond memories.
winter hunter
stalking the night sky
bow aimed high


my father
points out the night sky
my hand in his
© Dolores Fegan

A wonderful haibun ... and now it is up to you to create haiku, tanka or a haibun inspired on this beauty by Dolores. Have fun!

Here is a haibun from my archives, titled "autumn moon"

AUTUMN MOON

departing summer
days become shorter -
the full moon


The above haiku expresses my feelings in the fall. It is now September and fall will soon come. Each season has its charm, but my heart beats more rapidly as autumn approaches. Autumn, the season of renunciation. Saying goodbye to summer and get ready for winter. The trees lose their leaves, after they have had all the colors you can imagine.

The days are getting shorter, the weather changes in to rough rains and storms.

Saying goodbye ... surely that is the keyword for fall.


 
From the haiku tradition, the moon is at its most beautiful in the fall. Living in Japan this thought is at least very strong. Here in the West moon viewing is best in winter. Maybe that's true, but ... I'm just a Western haiku poet who is really oriented on the east and therefore more at home with the thoughts that the autumn moon is the best.

I like the moon in autumn. I can enjoy the sight of the moon, our natural satellite. In autumn the moon is mysterious and can work miracles. That feeling I expressed in the above haiku, but also in many other haiku.

light of the full moon
shines through colored leaves
at last ... autumn
© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until October 1st at noon (CET). I will post our new episode later on. For now .... have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment