Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Carpe Diem #1054 Summer Solstice


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have a prompt we have seen here more than once at our Haiku Kai, but to me that's not a problem and I hope you all don't mind too.

Today our prompt is Summer Solstice and these are the haiku Jane Reichhold used as an example in her saijiki "A Dictionary of Haiku", in which she introduced modern kigo (or seasonwords):

midsummer madness
tempered by the knowledge
each day is shorter

solstice splits
between the peach halves
a red stone sun

summer solstice
the gypsy wagon bright
with music

© Jane Reichhold

Gypsy wagon in the sun
Three wonderful haiku ... on summer solstice ...

This time I have chosen to share a tanka inspired on Summer Solstice. As you maybe know I am not that great a tanka poet, but sometimes I love to use that form.

the longest day
spirits are rejoicing nature
Summer Solstice
spiritual energy stronger than ever
the longest day

© Chèvrefeuille

And here is a haiku from my archives:

at the seashore
wind of summer through my hair
the shortest night


© Chèvrefeuille 

Well I hope Jane has inspired you to create haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form. 

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until September 19th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, coolness, later on. For now ... have fun!


3 comments:

  1. Such colorful haiku from Jane you have found for this prompt, Chèvrefeuille! Beauties - especially the gypsy wagon one! And yours - the special touch of solstice and a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peach halves is a wonderful imagery... sometimes I see the voice of William Carlos Williams in Jane's poetry... just shows that the imagist movements sometimes is close to Japanese poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carpe Diem Challenge #1054 Summer Solstice:

    summer solstice
    after supper hoeing
    a few more rows

    ReplyDelete