Sunday, September 11, 2016

Carpe Diem Special #218 Dolores' 2nd "dreaming of spring"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at the second CD-Special of this month. As you all know, the winner of our kukai "prayers" is Dolores of Ada's Poetry Alcove, she is our featured haiku poet this month and I love to share her poetry here to inspire you.

In the first CD-Special I shared a beautiful tanka by Dolores and I think she is a great tanka poet, so for this second CD-Special of September I have chosen another nice tanka by Dolores to inspire you.

The following tanka "dreaming of spring" catches the life's circle in five lines and Dolores has done that in great way:

autumn
flowers drop their petals
summer gone
they sleep in cold earth
dreaming of spring


© Dolores

A beauty ... As you can read in this tanka all the seasons are present. In a tanka that's not a problem, but in haiku this will be seen as "not done". In every haiku there is only one season (mostly). I think this is the difference between tanka and haiku.
Three lines (as in haiku) give you less space to write down your thoughts and feelings, but those extra two lines, five lines, as in tanka give you that opportunity ... those two extra lines make the difference. I can understand that you sometimes need more lines to write down your feelings and thoughts ... tanka gives you that space.

Last Leaf

As you all (maybe) know I am just a beginner in tanka, but I like the form very much and I am trying to create tanka more often. So here I go ... writing a tanka inspired on the one by Dolores.

a last leaf
fights with the fall storm
its color fades
struggling against the wind
it surrenders


© Chèvrefeuille

Not as strong as I had hoped, but I like the scene ... it makes the leaf more human ...

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until September 16th at noon (CET). I will post our second episode, calm, immediately hereafter. Have fun!




1 comment: