Thursday, March 6, 2014

Carpe Diem #415, Yasaki-ji (Temple 47)



Dear O-Henro ... Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to read all your wonderful posts and haiku, but during lack of time I am a bit behind with commenting ... I will catch up as soon as possible.
Today I will not write a very big post, because I have not that much time. I would love to bring another part of the Zen state of haiku here to you. That theme is humor ... Zen-Buddhism (or shortly Zen) is very humorfull and so humor can and may be part of haiku. So I love to challenge you to write haiku with some humor in it. To me it isn't easy to bring humor into haiku, but ... of course I will try.

a couple of frogs
between the stepping stones

looking disturbed

(c) Chèvrefeuille

Today we will visit the 47th temple on our Shikoku Pilgrimage. That temple is named Yasaki-ji and is devoted to Amida Nyorai. There are several haiku by e.g. Issa with Amida Buddha mentioned it. I love to give an example:


"Praise Buddha!
All praise to Amida Buddha!"
manjusa flower

(c) Issa

Butterfly on Manjusa Flower (Lycoris Radiata)

Wow! What a beautiful flower. The Lycoris Radiata or Red Magic Lily or Red Spider Lily is part of the Amaryllis family and as you can see ... it's really a beauty.

This episode of Carpe Diem is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until March 8th 11.59 AM (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, Jodo-ji (Temple 49), later on today. Have fun, be inspired and share your humorfull haiku with us all here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.


4 comments:

  1. Of course I love your haiku - two frogs are better than one :)
    May they return to their joy!
    Laughing with you this morning ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haiku, and humorous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not help being inspired with the two frogs -- I linked in the tale of the two frogs.. A japanese folk-tale I read as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your haiku these days are systematically of high quality, each time. That is the truth. This one was so subtle. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete