Sunday, July 17, 2016

Carpe Diem Special #215 Jack Kerouac's "white clouds"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our CDHK Special. Last week I shared a haiku by Buson for your inspiration and today I love to share a few haiku written by Jack Kerouac, well known as the initiator of the Beat generation in haiku loving America. In our last Utabukuro episode I shared a few beauties by Kerouac and today I love to share two other haiku.

White clouds of this steamy planet
obstruct
My vision of the blue void

White rose with red
splashes – Oh
Vanilla ice cream cherry!

© Jack Kerouac

I would say two beautiful, but somewhat strange haiku, but that's Kerouac's style. I think it can inspire you in a fun way or in a serious way. It's up to you to create a new haiku inspired on these two and try to catch the spirit of Kerouac in your haiku.

only a faint moon
Here is my attempt:

dark clouds hide
the deep blue sky of night
only a faint moon

© Chèvrefeuille

A nice one, but did I catch the spirit of Kerouac? I am not sure, it's for sure in the spirit of Chèvrefeuille (smiles)

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 22nd at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, blackthorn, later on. For now .... have fun!


2 comments:

  1. Carpe Diem Special # 215 "White Clouds":

    as clouds part
    moonlight making a path
    through the pines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post and poem! Late again due to week with grandchildren.

    https://adaspoetryalcove2.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/jack-kerouac/

    ReplyDelete