Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Carpe Diem Theme Week (6) 4 Tanka Splendor


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Jane Reichhold, the Queen of haiku and tanka, has passed away that's why I have created this Theme Week about Jane Reichhold. I am still in shock, but the reality becomes visible ... I will remember Jane as a great friend and mentor and she will be Always in my heart.

Jane was not only a haiku poetess, but she also was a gifted tanka poetess. In this episode I love to share a series of tanka written by Jane. The first of the series is a tanka by Fujiwara Shunzei in a translation by Jane. Jane was a translator too.

evening farewell
autumn winds of the moor
chill the body
the sound of the quail’s cry
in the village of deep grass

© Fujiwara Shunzei (Tr. Jane Reichhold)
A wonderful tanka.


Lizard
Here are a few other tanka, these were written by Jane herself.


desert leaving
one of my dream souls
in the lizard
patterns on his back
passport to change

last day of school
we carry our shoes home
in our lunchboxes
the next day crayon containers
now a granddaughter's antique

how fortunate
are withered flowers
in old age
not to feel the pain
of a still-young heart

night
sliding down the hill
the owl's cry
especially in moonlight
some rocks seem sad

into autumn
pelicans fly lower
over a wave
the need for love
comes earlier each night
© Jane Reichhold
I think all these tanka are beauties and I love to challenge you to use them for your inspiration to create haiku or tanka.

Sakura blossoms
I wasn't inspired enough, so I have chosen to "walk" through my archive to find a nice tanka.

golden glow -
she is combing her long blond hair
in front of the mirror
wallowing in vanity
a young novice



in praise of cherries
a geisha is playing the Koto
singing Sakura
wandering beneath the Cherry Trees
Ah! what a joy


© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until August 15th at noon (CET). Have fun!


PS.: I am hopelessly behind with commenting. I hope to catch up a.s.a.p.

No comments:

Post a Comment