Friday, August 12, 2016

Carpe Diem To Be Continued #1 Introduction to a new feature


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's my pleasure to introduce an all new feature at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, "Carpe Diem To Be Continued". It's maybe a "rare" feature, but I think it is also very challenging.
As you maybe know I am not only a haiku poet, but also an author (I have written two novels) and that inspired me to create this new feature.

The goal is, as the name already says, to continue something that was started. In this feature it's all about haibun (prose and poetry) and about continuing the story. How does this work?

I start "To Be Continued" with a haibun and you, my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers, have to continue the haibun, not only the prose, but also the poetry. Your continuation is inspired on the starting haibun. You can write a continuation on the starting haibun or, and that sounds more challenging, you write a continuation on the continuation before you. An example: If Eses has written a continuation on the starting haibun than you have to continue were Ese stopped or you can decide to create an continuation on the starting haibun. It sounds difficult, but I think it's not that difficult.

I hope this new feature will bring you a challenge, but most of all fun. For starters I have a haibun which I wrote back in April 2013, maybe you can remember it.

Isla Benidorm (Spain)


One Hot Summer 


Somewhere in the hot Summer of 1998 it was I  thought, but it easily could be in another hot Summer. I was on a holiday with my family in Benidorm (Spain).

My wife and I were walking along the beach late on an evening. It was still warm and we were very much in love. We walked hand in hand, sometimes stood still to kiss each other. Somewhere along the beach there was a group of palm trees with a nice little bench. We sat down and watch to the sea and Isla de Benidorm. 

It was told that once a giant had broke a piece of the mountains in the back land of Benidorm and had thrown it into the sea. I wonder ...

In the back lands of Benidorm I saw a mountain with a gap that looks very similar with the Isla de Benidorm. In front of my eyes I saw the giant brake of the big piece of the mountain and threw it into the sea. What a sight. That big piece of rock made the sea rise and a Tsunami rolled towards the seashore breaking on the beach. The foam swirled every where.

Puig Compana (Do you see the gap?)

A little smile on my face made my wife laugh. 'What are you thinking of?' she asked. I shook my head. 'Nothing my dear'. I answered. 'Nothing'. Hand in hand we walked back to our apartment and drank a little wine ... afterwards ... well ... it's up to you to fill in this gap. (smiles)


thrown into the sea
a pebble bounces a few times
I feel a giant

© Chèvrefeuille

== here ends the starting haibun. now it is up to you to continue the story ==

This new feature I will close about a month around September 10th 10.00 PM (CET). I am looking forward to your continuations. Have fun!

You can respond from now on.


2 comments:

  1. Just when I thing I might begin to be understanding what I am doing, you come up with something even more challenging and fun.

    ReplyDelete