Friday, June 13, 2014

Carpe Diem #491, Horizon


!! During a busy day I post this episode earlier than I mostly do !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I wish to thank you all for your prayers and concerns for my dad. We are all glad that my dad's surgery went ok and that the tumor which was removed had no cancer-cells in it. My dad has now entered a time for healing and thanks to your prayers and thoughts he has become great again. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Today we go on with our journey along the modern kigo for summer as created by Jane Reichhold in her "A Dictionary of Haiku", a modern Saijiki (list of kigo). Today we are discovering horizon a commonly known word which don't need further explanation I think. So, as I did with our ''dawn'' prompt I will give the haiku which Jane Reichhold used as an example for horizon....

a high wave
bumping the horizon
curled by blue

evening
drawing a line of pink
mountains

on the horizon
waves by the buoy
bump the sky


Credits: Horizon Road (photo by Phil Koch)
What a gorgeous photograph ... a wonderful sight of the horizon at the end of the road ... As I was preparing this episode and sought for photos I came along a lot of wonderful photos, but this one was (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful. So I couldn't hold it from you all.

at the end of the road
the sky kisses the earth -
everlasting love

Or another haiku:

shimmering sky
behind a thin veil of heat -
seagulls cry

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... horizon will certainly inspire you to write wonderful haiku. To conclude this episode I have another wonderful photo (by Elly van Veen). This photo shows the horizon of the city were I live. I am living on the shore of the IJsselmeer and at the harbor there is a wonderful statue of metal which shows a squatting man. This statue is called "Exposure". This squatting man watches over the harbor. In the background you can see the floodgates which are called Houtribsluizen. In this time of year, summer, the floodgates are busy with all sailing ships and other boats. My fellow citizens and I are living with the sea, with the lakes around us. I live in the polder around 5 metres below sea-level.

Credits: Exposure (photo by Elly van Veen)
This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until June 16th at noon (CET). I will try to post our new episode, another CD Special with a composition of BrunuhVille, our featured composer, later on. !! PS. I have also published our new weekly prompt at Haiku Shuukan !! And yesterday I published already our new Tan Renga Challenge !!


5 comments:

  1. Those two haiku - brilliant, just brilliant,sharp, unexpected, real art. Both are different, completely. The first says so much, and the second speaks so dramatically, Neither are over the top, both excellent. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. Kristjaan, we thought alike. I too made the sky kiss the land. Well, I think that it is good that I just read the title and didn't read your entire post before writing. I am delighted. :-)
    Beautiful haiku.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that the horizon before your dad is of promise, healing and hope.
    A beautiful and appropriate theme my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristjaan, Glad to hear your father is on the mend. Maybe that is what inspired you, in part, because your haiku are gorgeous.

    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/peeking-out-from-mountains/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sky kissing the earth...

    ReplyDelete