Sunday, June 8, 2014

Carpe Diem Special #96, BrunuhVille's ²nd "Fable"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As you maybe can remember we had last month (May) all prompts based on Legend, Myth, Saga and Folktales and I enjoyed it a lot. I even had a sad feeling that that month was over. Therefore I decided to (at least one) do a composition by BrunuhVille which in a way connects us back to May. I found a nice composition titled "Fable" and I love to share that one here for your inspiration.


I think it's a wonderful piece of inspirational music and I hope you all like it as much as I do. To make this episode a little bit more interesting I have also found a Celtic fable to share here with you all.

##################################################
##################################################

The Legend of Lough Gur

LARRY COTTER had a farm on one side of Lough Gur in the county of Limerick and was thriving in it, for he was an industrious proper sort of man, who would have lived quietly and soberly to the end of his days, but for the misfortune that came on him, and you shall hear how that was. He had as nice a bit of meadow-land, down by the water-side, as ever a man would wish for; but its growth was spoiled entirely on him, and no one could tell how.
One year after the other it was all ruined just the same way: the bounds were well made up, and not a stone of them was disturbed; neither could his neighbours" cattle have been guilty of the trespass, for they were spancelled [= fettered]; but however it was done the grass of the meadow was destroyed, which was a great loss to Larry.
"What in the wide world will I do?" said Larry Cotter to his neighbour, Tom Welch, who was a very decent sort of man himself: "that bit of meadow-land, which I am paying the great rent for, is doing nothing at all to make it for me; and the times are bitter bad, without the help of that to make them worse."
"It is true for you, Larry," replied Welch : "the times are bitter bad - no doubt of that; but may be if you were to watch by night, you might make out all about it: sure there's Mick and Terry, my two boys, will watch with you; for it is a thousand pities any honest man like you should be ruined in such a scheming way".
 
Credits: Lough Gur, a lake in County Limerick Ireland

Accordingly, the following night, Larry Cotter, with Welch's two sons, took their station in a corner of the meadow. It was just at the full of the moon, which was shining beautifully down on the lake, that was as calm all over as the sky itself; not a cloud was there to be seen anywhere, nor a sound to be heard, but the cry of the corn creaks answering one another across the water.
"Boys! boys!" said Larry, "look there I look there! but for your lives don't make a bit of noise, nor stir a step till I say the word."
They looked, and saw a great fat cow, followed by seven milk-white heifers, moving on the smooth surface of the lake towards the meadow.
"it is not Tim Dwyer the piper's cow, anyway, that danced all the flesh off her bones," whispered Mick to his brother.
"Now, boys " said Larry Cotter, when he saw the fine cow and her seven white heifers fairly in the meadow, "get between them and the lake if you can, and, no matter who they belong to, we will just: put them into" the pound."
But the cow must have overheard Larry speaking, for down she went in a great hurry to the shore of the lake, and into it with her, before all their eyes: away made the seven heifers after her, but the boys got down to the hank before them, and work enough they had to drive them up from the lake to Larry Cotter.
 

Credits: Heifers (an Irish kind of catlle


Larry drove the seven heifers, and. beautiful beasts they were, to the pound; but after he had them there for three days, and could hear of no owner, he took them out, and put them up in a field of his own. There he kept them, and they were thriving mighty well with him, till one night the gate of the field was left open, and in the morning the seven heifers were gone. Larry could not get any account of them after; and, beyond all doubt, it was back into the lake they went. Wherever they came from, or to whatever world they belonged, Larry Cotter never had a crop of grass off the meadow through their means. So he took to drink, fairly out of the grief; and it was the drink that killed him, they say.

######################################################
######################################################

What a nice fable don't you think so too? And I think it's a nice fable to go along with the music of BrunuhVille .... and ofcourse I hope it will inspire you to write haiku.

As I listened to this music ... I saw images of combat in my mind, combat in the Highlands or in the green meadows of Ireland ... warriors fighting for honor to be granted awards for their combat by the king. The fable brought me another problem ... how can I bring both inspiration-sources into one haiku ... so I had to think it over and over again. Finally I think that I have composed a wonderful haiku inspired on both sources.

Here it is:

warriors of the king
fighting for glory - in the meadows
the lowing of cows


© Chèvrefeuille
Credits: in the meadows (Drumbeg)
I think this is a nice one ... and maybe it is one of my best ... but that's not up to me to say ...

This Special CD episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until June 11th at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, breeze, later on today. For now have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading that Native Peoples revere White Buffalo. I didn't quite find out why, but I found something to write my haiku on. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is a brilliant way to bring both sources of inspiration into one haiku- beautiful! :)
    Thank you for sharing the music and the fable with us.

    ReplyDelete