Sunday, June 5, 2016

Carpe Diem Special #209 "ripple in the lake" by Joyce Lorenson


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at the first Carpe Diem Special of this month. As you can see I have created a new logo for the CD-Specials in which I also has mentioned the featured haiku poetess of this month.

At the start of May 2016 I introduced our featured haiku poetess, Joyce Lorenson, in the second episode of "In The Spotlight at Carpe Diem".

Short biography:

Joyce Lorenson was born in 1944 in Rhode Island, U.S.A., and lived her first years on her grandfather's dairy farm by the sea, where her father and grandfather were fishermen and farmers. Her  childhood was spent working with her parents and brothers on their farms, a wonderful time so in tune with nature.
She grew up in the company of cows, surrounded by a river, a pond, fields, orchards and woods, and all the animals and birds that are part of that landscape. Her entire life she spent in New England not far from where she was born. At age twelve sheI was introduced to poetry at school and was smitten. She decided to become a poet.
Five years ago she decided it was now or never, she gave writing a go. After writing several traditional free verse poems, she began to feel a shorter form would suit her better. Having always loved haiku, a year ago she thought she would try her hand at haiku and found it very enjoyable.
She continually strives to improve her haiku. She had several poems published, a long awaited dream come true, as well as her dream of visiting Japan, which she did twice.

Joyce Lorenson
I remember that your responses on her haiku were wonderful and very uplifting. Recently Joyce won our “New Life” kukai with the following haiku:

spring blossoms
bees carrying
new life to the hive


© Joyce Joslin Lorenson

As you all know the winner of the kukai wins the opportunity to create an exclusive CDHK e-book and I have already started editing her e-book. I hope to have it ready later this week. Next to that prize the winner is the featured haiku poet for a month in the CD-Specials … this month I will introduce haiku written by her to inspire you all.

For this first CD-Special I have chosen a haiku, which I already used in the above mentioned episode of "In The Spotlight", but this haiku needs to be "in the spotlight" again to inspire you.

lights along the shore
shimmering reflections
ripple in the lake

© Joyce Lorenson


reflections (Lake San Rocco - Orta San Giulio Italy)

As I read this haiku I remember a lot of lakes I have seen. And I can see, feel, touch, smell and hear the lake. As I close my eyes I am there ... it's an awesome place to be. A place to meditate and contemplate ... reflecting on my life and daily life ... this is what this haiku does with me. What are your scenes, feelings and thoughts? Try to catch them in your haiku or tanka inspired on this beauty by Joyce ... and maybe try to catch that same spirit ... have fun!

Here is my attempt, trying to catch that same feeling:

City Park in my neighborhood photo  © Chèvrefeuille

water lilies reach
from the mud to the bright sun
straight through the water

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... did I succeed ....?

This CD-Special is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until June 10th at noon (CET). I will publish our new episode, Luxembourg, later on. For now ... be inspired, have fun and share your haiku with us all.


4 comments:

  1. Your haiku has definite Buddhist touches Chev, within those lines..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passing through visiting... :-) I have not forgotten you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we could be as straight in our growth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kristjaan, for honoring me with this Carpe Diem Special. I was not expecting it!! And thank you to everyone for your wonderful response verses.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete