Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Carpe Diem #1408 Gypsy (kikobun)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's with pleasure that I offer you a new episode of our wonderful Kai. We are into haibun this month and we have seen already several different forms of haibun this month. Today I love to challenge you to create a kikobun. Let me first share the idea of kikobun (again) with you before I go to the theme of today, gypsy.

It is structured somewhat like a haibun, a passage of prose with at least one short poem (haiku or tanka). It features landscape and nature, and interaction between writer and the landscape. Bashô focused on exactly that, the nature and not on prescribed formulas or conceptions.
The key specification is that a kikôbun involves movement of the writer, in that it is a short travel diary. The haiku should not repeat what is in the prose, and should not attempt to ′globalise’ the prose like a conclusion.

Okay ... onwards we go. Today's theme is "gypsy". And I think you all know about gypsies. In my daily salutation I always use "travelers", and maybe you know that "travelers" are a kind of gypsies. Our haiku friend Hamish Managua Gunn has written a few posts here at CDHK about gypsies and maybe they can help you ... At the above left corner you find a "search" possibility were you can find his posts on gypsies by putting in "gypsy or gypsies" or maybe "Roma".

Gypsy woman (painting)
I am not that familiar with gypsies, but I remember that I used a kind of gypsies in my first novel "Netsach" (2007) so I think I can say I am a little bit familiar with them and of course through the posts of Hamish here at CDHK.

In one of his posts he shares with us the following haiku on gypsies (or Roma-people):

by the campfire
she dances to the violin
only the stars are still

© Hamish Managua Gunn

Maybe you can use his haiku for your inspiration to create a kikobun. Of course you are free to do so. You can also use the following video by Nagy Lehel, titled "Cigány Zene - Gypsy Music" for your inspiration.


Well ... I think you have enough to work with. I am looking forward to your kikobun themed "gypsy".

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CEST) and will remain open until April 17th at noon (CEST). I will try to publish our new episode, Broadway, later on. For now ... have fun!


1 comment: