Sunday, April 8, 2018

Carpe Diem's Crossroads #5 scent of plum blossoms


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our "fusion" feature Crossroads. In this feature I challenge you to create a new haiku (only haiku) extracted from two given haiku. It's a kind of "fusion" haiku you are creating in that way. In one of the other episodes of this feature I said that I will use not only haiku, but also tanka and other Japanese poetry forms, but in our for last episode I decided that I only will use haiku in this feature, because in my opinion I think this feature can help you to improve your haiku writing skills.

This week I have chosen the following two haiku, both are written by Matsuo Basho (1644-1694). I think you will know the first haiku, because it has been extracted from his renown haibun "The Small Road Into The Deep North" and the other isn't that known, but in my opinion it's one of his masterpieces.

Plum Blossom (woodblock print) (image found on Pinterest)
Here are the two haiku to work with. Create your "fusion" haiku from these two haiku by Basho:

summer grasses
all that remains
of warriors dreams


scent of plum blossoms
on the misty mountain path
a big rising sun
© Basho (Tr. unknown)

Well ... I think these are wonderful haiku to work with. So ... have fun!

This episode of Crossroads is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CEST) and will remain open until April 16th at noon (CEST).

1 comment:

  1. Two great haiku, especially the first. A real challenge here I look forward to, fusing the haiku and yet giving a new one with meaning.

    ReplyDelete