Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Carpe Diem #167, Scorpio (The Scorpion) (Zodiac 8)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to prepare another episode of our Carpe Diem's Journey along the signs of the Zodiac. Today we arrive at Scorpio (The Scorpion) and the first thing what came in mind was that this is the sign of my youngest daughter and it is my so called 'ascendant'. So my daughter and I have a tight bond. By the way she was born on October 24th and that was the birthday of my granddad of father's side. Isn't it amazing? Back to the 'ascendant', what is it?
The ascendant ( or As), or rising sign, is the zodiacal sign and degree that was ascending on the eastern horizon at the specific time and location of an event. According to astrological theory, celestial phenomena reflect or determine human activity on the principle of 'as above so below'. Thus astrologers believe that the ascendant signifies a person's awakening consciousness, in the same way that the Sun's appearance on the eastern horizon signifies the dawn of a new day.
Because the ascendant is specific to a particular time and place, to astrologers it signifies the individual environment and conditioning that a person receives during their upbringing, and also the circumstances of their childhood. For this reason astrologers believe that the ascendant is also concerned with how a person has learned to present him or herself to the world, especially in public and in impersonal situations. To astrologers, in some circumstances, it can function as a shield or mask to guard a person's real nature - in other words the 'defense mechanism' every person has to cope with unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations. Astrologers believe the ascendant also has a strong bearing on a person's physical appearance and overall health.
The Ascendant is thus considered to be of great significance in all schools of astrology because it in effect serves as the filter through which everything in a horoscope- including the Sun and Moon- is expressed. Most astrologers believe that the Rising Sign exerts an influence equal to or more powerful than the Sun and Moon.



Credits: Scorpio (The Scorpion) October 24th - November 22th

Another thing which came in mind was the major movie 'The Scorpion King', a fantastic adventure in my opinion. A shortkey of this movie: A desert warrior rises up against the evil army that is destroying his homeland. He captures the enemy's key sorcerer, takes her deep into the desert and prepares for a final showdown.
I have seen this movie several times and I loved it every time. 





OK ... I have my weak side too (smiles). Back to our episode of today. What tells us the astrology about Scorpio (The Scorpion)? Let's take a look.

Symbols for Scorpio are the scorpion, a ground-dwelling killer with a poisonous sting in its tail and the eagle, a far-seeing predator soaring above petty problems into the spiritual sky.
People who were born in this section of the year have great magnetic power, and as speakers appeal to the emotions and sentiments of their public more than to logic, but they sway their audiences as they choose. They are the searchers of the zodiac and have an insatiable desire for knowledge on every level. From spiritual and intellectual revelations, these people want the edge on everybody else.
In dangerous situations and in sudden crises they remain cool and very determined. Many of the very best surgeons have been found in this period. Representatives of this sign often become workaholics. They drive themselves hard, and usually drive others unmercifully. They despise weakness in themselves or in others.
Their worst fault is that they are too adaptable to the people with whom they come in contact.
They always lead double lives one for the eyes of the world and another for themselves.
They have incredible personal magnetism, so no other class of people makes more friends or have more enemies than those born in this period, but their strong personality carries them through like a resistless wave.
People in this Sign should, above all, be encouraged to have ambition, for it is the one thing that will save them; for it they mil make any sacrifice or deny themselves any pleasure, and so accomplish more work than any other class.
In general they need to dominate relationships and rarely display their true feelings even at the most open and communicative moments. Although this people may not intentionally set out to be mysterious, they manage to appear enigmatic anyway. They hate being crossed or manipulated, and can react to such treatment with sarcasm and vengefulness.
Sooner or later, they generally become interested in occult matters, they readily develop unusual clairvoyant powers, and quite often gain fame and distinction as writers, painters or poets. They are natural philosophers, deep students of Nature, and observe and analyze other persons' characters better than any other class.

As I look at this description of Scorpio and refer to what I earlier said about my daughter. I can almost see my daughter in front of me, but I also sense that she has influence on me being a haiku poet. I really can relate to what I said in the last paragraph above. She, my daughter, makes me whole I think, because in a lot of the things about Scorpio I really see my self.






Well ... I hope you enjoyed the read and I hope that you're inspired to write haiku on this wonderful sign of the Zodiac. I had some trouble with writing and composing my own haiku for this episode, but I think I succeeded.


scorpio and aries
making each other stronger -
my daughter and I


my daughter and I
a bond that never will be broken -

scorpio and aries


Just a little tribute to my daughter (smiles) hope you liked it. This prompt will stay on 'til April 11th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode later on today around 10.00 PM (CET). That will be the second Carpe Diem Special of April a haiku written by myself. I will give that Special haiku here after.


aki no kaori hiisu no ue ni mangetsuno hikarino nakawo aruku (*)

walking on the heath
in the light of the full moon
the scent of autumn



(*) translated by Romaji.Me







3 comments:

  1. Very personal and strong write up Kristjaan, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bond between fathers and daughters is a very special one indeed Kristjaan. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am still plugging away at these...mind boggling but intend to complete one a day or every other day til I reach the end of April's prompts.

    I understand you won't see them or comment on them, but it is important to me to complete a difficult task like this.

    Peace
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete