Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Carpe Diem #179, Full Pink Moon (the full moon of April)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today we have a full moon and this full moon of April is sometimes called Full Pink Moon and that's our prompt for today. But why is this full moon called 'Full Pink Moon'?

This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month’s celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.



Wild Ground Phlox

The Wild Ground Phlox is a ground covering flower and it looks awesome as it's in full bloom. It looks like a pink carpet in your garden. Around the full moon of April, this Ground Phlox, is in full bloom. That's why the full moon of April is called 'Full Pink Moon'.



Full Pink Moon (the full moon of April)

Isn't it wonderful? Let's go compose a few haiku on 'Full Pink Moon'.


full pink moon
as above, so below
pink garden


pink garden
the scent of ground phloxes
under a pink moon



This prompt will stay on'til April 26th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode of Carpe Diem, chocolate (provided by KZ), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).







8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the playful way your haiku described what you did with our eyes on the moon - brought them from above to below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - and great feeling of colour in your haiku Kristjaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I would love to see the pink flox. Sounds like a wonderful flower. A little bit like wild thyme I assume... but cherry blossom can be pink too.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the information on the Pink Moon and your lovely verse. I did not know the origins of this name for the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post ~ always so informative and creative cascading haiku ~ ^_^

    PS. You know I keep commenting on everyone's post ~ yet don't get a lot of response (not your problem) just beginning to wonder why I bother and now I am on G+ so commenting is very different ~ Enjoy the up coming weekend ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is great. i was curious about that pink moon, pink being my favorite color. i love the wonderful imagery in you haiku :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this, so it's very intriguing. We have phlox here, too, although no phlox I have come across has had any scent, so it's probably a different variety (although it looks similar).

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving this and especially your haiku. Rachel wanted to get involved this morning so she drew a picture on my phone and helped me with my haiku. a junior haiku fan :)

    ReplyDelete