Monday, April 29, 2013

Carpe Diem #183, Honey (provided by KZ)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today our last prompt for April. It was a great month of Carpe Diem and I am glad that you all enjoyed it and participated in it. Today our prompt is Honey (provided by KZ of The Eclectic Eccentric Shopaholic ), but first I have to tell you all something else.
April 30th is the day on which the people of The Netherlands are saying goodbye to Queen Beatrix. She steps back from the throne after a reign of 33 years. Her oldest son, the Crownprince of Oranje Nassau, prince Willem Alexander, will be our new king and today he will be crowned a king. Today is a great holiday for us all here in The Netherlands.


Queen Beatrix, Crownprince Willem-Alexander and princess Maxima

OK ... enough about this memorable day for the people of The Netherlands back to our prompt for today.

As I was preparing this episode of Carpe Diem the first thing I thought of was a song by Abba titled 'Honey, Honey'. It was their 2nd single after Waterloo and it was published in 1974. I love their music and I was a great fan and admirer of their wonderful music. So I love to share that song here with you.



Well ... did you like it? OK than ... back to the prompt for today, but now the natural meaning of this prompt or the spiritual meaning or use. Let's go on a quest for honey (smiles).

Honey (pron.: /ˈhʌni/) is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers. The variety produced by honey bees (the genus Apis) is the one most commonly referred to, as it is the type of honey collected by beekeepers and consumed by humans. Honey produced by other bees and insects has distinctly different properties.

At Araña Caves in Spain.Honey collection is an ancient activity. Humans apparently began hunting for honey at least 8,000 years ago, as evidenced by a cave painting in Valencia, Spain. The painting is a Mesolithic rock painting, showing two honey-hunters collecting honey and honeycomb from a wild bee nest. The figures are depicted carrying baskets or gourds, and using a ladder or series of ropes to reach the wild nest.


Painting of Honey-seekers found in a Spanish cave. (Cueva Araña)

Some cultures believed honey had many practical health uses. It was used as an ointment for rashes and burns, and to help soothe sore throats when no other practices were available.In Hinduism, honey (Madhu) is one of the five elixirs of immortality (Panchamrita). In temples, honey is poured over the deities in a ritual called Madhu abhisheka. The Vedas and other ancient literature mention the use of honey as a great medicinal and health food.
In Jewish tradition, honey is a symbol for the new year, Rosh Hashanah. At the traditional meal for that holiday, apple slices are dipped in honey and eaten to bring a sweet new year. Some Rosh Hashanah greetings show honey and an apple, symbolizing the feast. In some congregations, small straws of honey are given out to usher in the new year.
The Hebrew Bible contains many references to honey. In the Book of Judges, Samson found a swarm of bees and honey in the carcass of a lion (14:8). In Old Testament law, offerings were made in the temple to God. The Book of Leviticus says that “Every grain offering you bring to the Lord must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in a food offering presented to the Lord” (2:11). In the Books of Samuel Jonathan is forced into a confrontation with his father King Saul after eating honey in violation of a rash oath Saul made (14:24-47). The Book of Exodus famously describes the Promised Land as a "land flowing with milk and honey" (33:3). However, the claim has been advanced that the original Hebrew (דבש devash) actually refers to the sweet syrup produced from the juice of dates. Pure honey is considered kosher even though it is produced by a flying insect, a nonkosher creature; other products of nonkosher animals are not kosher. 
In Buddhism, honey plays an important role in the festival of Madhu Purnima, celebrated in India and Bangladesh. The day commemorates Buddha's making peace among his disciples by retreating into the wilderness. The legend has it that while he was there, a monkey brought him honey to eat. On Madhu Purnima, Buddhists remember this act by giving honey to monks. The monkey's gift is frequently depicted in Buddhist art.


Madhu Purnima

In Islam, there is an entire Surah in the Qur'an called al-Nahl (the Honey Bee). According to hadith, Prophet Muhammad strongly recommended honey for healing purposes. The Qur'an promotes honey as a nutritious and healthy food.

Honey ... a natural product with a nice background on divers religions and spiritual ways. Awesome ... honey so pure ... and delicious.

I have sought for a few examples of haiku with honey in it. I found this nice one written by Khalid:


Flowers have bloomed
Bees have sucked the sweet nectar
But bear's stolen the honey


Or this one, I couldn't retrieve the name of the author/poet of this haiku, but it's a nice one:

Honey sweet honey
tirelessly bees make you.
So sweet is this treat


I love to share a cascading haiku which I wrote last year somewhere in April. In that time a strange illness under honeybees did bring death to honeybees worldwide. I wrote than a kind of  'in memoriam' for the honeybees.

all over the world
honeybees are dying -
flowers never bloom again


flowers never bloom again
Mother Earth's face will be
colorless


colorless
no more fruits to eat
all over the world


Honeybee on Calyx

OK ... I just have to write a new haiku ... it's an obligation ...

divine Champagne
pure fluid gold of Mother Nature
honey heavenly honey

honey heavenly honey
thanks to those little honeybees
divine Champagne


Well ... this concludes our last episode of Carpe Diem for this month April. Hope you enjoyed the read and I hope that this episode will inspire you all to write new haiku and share them with us all.
If you would like to look forward to our new prompt-list for May 2013 than see it HERE

This episode will stay on 'till May 1st 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our first prompt for our new Carpe Diem month, Tarot (regular), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET). Have fun!







13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post... and thanks for the ABBA (one of the Bees is Björn...but not me)

    I was never a fan of Abba though... they were considered to "light" among me and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Björn...don't tell me you are immune to the beauty of you-know-who in ABBA still! Yes, they were light, but I am still searching for the island she lives on between Sweden and Finland, though one of our Carpe Diem haiku team does remind me of her. Great post Kristjaan! To be honest I am not sure about these cascading haiku,even though I like each individual one very much. But I like to be a revolutionary when I can, even with innovating haijin masters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're a revolutionary Pirate ... I am glad that you are, because also a haiku masters needs sometimes strong comments. And I like that, because I am learning every day ... that's, in my opinion, the life time task of a haiku master ... searching for beauty and better ways to become a better haiku master. Thank you for your honesty.

      Delete
  3. That was thorough post on honey! It must have taken you a lot of time to make! Thank you! Now it will be exciting for me to see if I, by the mercy of God, am able to make a haiku about honey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Researching honey led me to a Franciscan monastery that keeps bees. Honey has a wonderful history! Thank you again for enlightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. terrific post. rich with knowledge and information. thanks for this Kristjaan. and i absolutely love your new haiku and how you referred to honey as divine champagne ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear - just to clarify, I like the two haiku you wrote on your page very much as separate haiku, just not sure about "these" cascading haiku generally as a form. They trouble me a bit. Your acceptance of strong comments is indeed a sign of a true master, for me, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The cascading haiku looks artificial and that's true. On the other hand I think that composing a cascading haiku is a challenge and learns the haiku poet to reflect on his her haiku. I am a bit of an addict to the cascading haiku, but I love the 'normal' haiku also very much.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your new king. I like ABBA, not everything needs to be serious! I have to tell you something funny, too. Our last haiku have been about things like chocolate and I also wrote one about the dying embers of a fire, etc., so my friend who doesn't live close assumed I was in a new romance ;) I told her not yet, it was just your wonderful prompts that led to the haiku which made her think so. Made me laugh, so I thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. I was so happy to see Europe is doing something to help the bees. I hope the United States does this too. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/29/179868454/europe-bans-pesticides-in-move-to-protect-honey-bees

    ReplyDelete
  9. KZ picked a delicious topic. I wasn't that familiar with ABBA to have heard that song before, but those were very sexy little "honey-bes." I surely hope your first set of haiku do not come to "bee," so I appreciated the pair that brought us back "up" at the end. :) Buzzing off to work on my research... -j

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rather like the idea of honey being divine Champagne!

    ReplyDelete