Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Carpe Diem #173, Threnody (provided by Mark M. Redfearn)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

This episode is really a struggle for me to write. This prompt brings a lot of emotions in my mind. Today I will try to write an episode on Threnody (provided by Mark M. Redfearn). Why giving it a try? Well ... first I didn't know this word and I had to sought it out in the dictionary. I found the meaning of this word Requiem and that made me very sad. A Requiem is a death mass and immediately it brought thoughts to me of my brother, who passed away in 1995 at Lungcancer on the age of 35.
Another thing which came in mind was the classical Catholic Mass composed by W.A. Mozart (1756-1791) Requiem in D minor which he composed for  the Austrian count Franz Von Walsegg, as a Tribute to the passing of his young wife Anna. Mozart began his final composition in Prague, suffering from an undetermined illness, which would eventually take his life and rob him of the chance to see the completion of his Magnum Opus. After Mozart's death, his understudy 'Franz Xaver Süssmayr', at the behest of Mozart's wife, completed the missing parts of the Requiem. 
Requiem Mass was first performed on January 2, 1793, in a private concert for the benefit of Mozart's grieving wife, Constanze Mozart.
I have found a wonderful (short piece) of this Requiem in D minor on You Tube. I think it's a great composition and it really is Mozart's Magnum Opus unless he couldn't complete it by himself.




I hope you did enjoyed it. To write a haiku on this prompt is, to me at least, not easy. It brings to much emotions, but I have to do this ...


in the cathedral
from dust to dust again -
requiem mass

requiem mass
for an everlasting love
my dear brother

my dear brother
burning a candle for him
in the cathedral


Well ... this one wasn't easy to write ... I had a thick throat and tears in my eyes as I finally wrote this cascading haiku in loving memory for my brother (1959-1995) who died on September 3rd 1995 almost 36 yrs of age. He's still missed, but we will see each other again when I finally will write my own death haiku and close my eyes forever.

Sorry for the sad tone of this episode, but I had to write this one. Not alone for myself, but also for those who have lost a beloved one.

This episode of Carpe Diem will stay on 'til April 19th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode, whisper (provided by Cathy of Haiku Plate Special), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).






9 comments:

  1. That's absolutely beautiful, such an amazing tribute for your brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing sadness, love your tribute to your brother. For myself I found writing melancholy and sadness is strangely relieving.... Great word, I had not heard before either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very brave and moving post Kristjaan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This prompt came at the right time. So much sadness in the world this week. Your tribute to your brother is heartfelt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poems today are a nice memorial for your brother, lost too soon. With a theme like this, the poems are bound to be sad, but it is good to remember those who have been lost. I also have never heard this word before, even though I am a word geek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such poignant haiku in memory of your brother. Mark offered an incredible prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful tribute to your brother. Thanks to you and Mark for the lovely prompt. This prompt came at the right time, my dad's death anniversary in the first week of May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome issues here. I'm very glad to look your post.
    Thanks so much and I am taking a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete