Thursday, April 25, 2013

Carpe Diem #180, Chocolate (provided by KZ)



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Time flies when you have fun ... it's already April 26th and our Carpe Diem month is crawling to her end and looking forward to a new month of wonderful prompts to write and share haiku about.
Today we have a nice prompt I think. Several weeks ago I posted a haiku on my home-weblog Chèvrefeuille's haikublog with the same prompt. It's a delicious prompt. Today we share haiku on Chocolate (provided by KZ of The Eclectic Eccentric Shopaholic ). I like chocolate and the first thing which came in mind was Forrest Gump, that wonderful movie with Tom Hanks, in which Forest is sharing choclates from it's choclate-box.


Credits: Forrest Gump

I have seen that movie several times and every time I like it again. Look at him ... sitting there with his box of chocolates on his knees ... awesome.

Yesterday I got a present from my colleagues in the hospital for my 50th birthday and that present was, next to a nice perfume, body paint with chocolate ... (smiles) ... maybe I will use it sometime ... , but it brought me the following haiku:


my sweet love
covered in chocolate
arouses my senses


Maybe a bit to much ... and not my style, but I just had to share this one with you. Chocolate ... heavenly ..., but what is it? Let's look for a little background on chocolate.

Chocolate i/ˈtʃɒklət/ is a processed food produced from the seed of the tropical Theobroma cacao tree. Cacao has been cultivated for at least three millennia in Mexico, Central America and Northern South America. Its earliest documented use is around 1100 BC. The majority of the Mesoamerican people made chocolate beverages, including the Aztecs, who made it into a beverage known as xocolātl [ʃo'kolaːt͡ɬ], a Nahuatl word meaning "bitter water". The seeds of the cacao tree have an intense bitter taste, and must be fermented to develop the flavor. 

Cocoa Pods

Chocolate has become one of the most popular food types and flavors in the world. Chocolate chip cookies have become very common, and very popular, in most parts of Europe and North America. Gifts of chocolate molded into different shapes have become traditional on certain holidays. Chocolate is also used in cold and hot beverages, to produce chocolate milk and hot chocolate.
Cocoa mass was used originally in Mesoamerica both as a beverage and as an ingredient in foods. Chocolate played a special role in both Maya and Aztec royal and religious events. Priests presented cacao seeds as offerings to the deities and served chocolate drinks during sacred ceremonies. All of the areas that were conquered by the Aztecs that grew cacao beans were ordered to pay them as a tax, or as the Aztecs called it, a "tribute".


offering cocoa
to please the deities -
hot chocolate drink


hot chocolate drink
arouses my senses, opens my mind
my deities pleased



Well ... I hope you liked the read and that it inspired you to write haiku on Chocolate. Have fun and share your haiku with Carpe Diem, the place to be if you like haiku.

This prompt will stay on 'till April 27th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode of Carpe Diem, Storyteller (provided by Sigrid), later on today around 10.00 PM (CET).







8 comments:

  1. I love chocolate too. And I love it. I actually liked your first one, but I can understand that you like the others more. The background of chocolate is so interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prompt, kz! Writing the haiku made me want some chocolate lava cake ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that movie as well! ^^ and what a cool present from your colleagues ^^ haha
    enjoyed your sensual haiku and 'my deities pleased' is just brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twas a great movie and fun haiku ~ body chocolate should be fun too ~ ^_^ ~ lovely cascading haiku ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watch the movie every time it comes on and chocolate satisfies craving like nothing else and is very beneficial to our heart health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat sugar anymore, but I put chocolate in fruit smoothies for chocolate shakes and it works well. Chocolate itself is good for you. I like all of these but especially the one about your love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a giggle that I'd missed this prompt on chocolate considering I'm in my second week without. Imight write

    ReplyDelete